Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Trying to develop a plan for my ride

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 07:33 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to develop a plan for my ride

I've been tossing around the idea of getting a 6.0, getting an ls1, juicing my 4.8, supercharging my 4.8, turboing my 4.8 or turboing a larger motor, etc etc.

I couldn't figure out what I wanted to do. I think I might have finally decided.

I was thinking of saving up for a set of Patriot 4.8/5.3 Stage II heads (or a better set of heads if such a pair of beasts exist - need small chambers) and getting a cam and a 3000 rpm stall (probably Yank, or Vig or possibly TCI if I start getting cheap)

I'm looking to run 13s all motor on a wee little 4.8. I don't think I want boost and I want something thats there all the time so I don't want nitrous anymore. I want to go fast but I want reliability, and I don't need torque - trying to delay needing a transmission, plus I have traction issues already. The only thing I tow around in my truck is myself.

At any rate I was thinking the heads and cam and converter would put me into the high 13s with a good launch and later down the road if (more like when) I need more power then I was thinking of getting an ls1 shortblock and then putting the heads and cam on and in the ls1. I don't want a 6.0 anymore. I've heard gas mileage was poor with them and I like the idea of a lighter front end on my truck. (better handling, quicker, and so cool to say I have an ls1)

I know I'll be paying more for labor by doing it separately but I think I'll roll around with the 4.8 till 100k miles and then put the go fast goodies on a fresh ls1. I'd like to put the hurt on some stockish lightnings and stang GTs (i can beat automatic convertible GTs already) with a N/A 4.8 though. Thats my goal. Thats what I want to do.

What does everyone think about that? Feel free to bench race with my plan.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:23 PM
TECH Addict

I know where you are coming from. If I knew then what I know now. If your goal is a fast truck dont skimp for this and that reason. Start with a 6.0 longblock. From there go whichever way you want, but that really should be the starting point IMO. A heads and cam 4.8 is not going to beat a Lightning. A heads and cam 6.0 would have a shot. Point being the cam you would put in your 4.8 is not going to be well suited for anything else. Just my opinions.
If I wouldve known what I would ACTUALLY need to buy to get this Vortech to make the power I wanted I wouldve gone another route as well.
Vortech Kit
Progressive Meth system
Race Bypass Valve
New Tuning Software
Smaller pulley
Hybrid T Trim upgrade
Old 09-15-2004, 09:45 PM
Launching!

Well lemme just throw out the numbers in my head. I was thinking that I run around a 14.8 right now. So a 3000 rpm stall would put me a half second faster at around a 14.3. I was hoping the heads and cam would drop me to around a 13.9 If that didn't work then I'd find a hundred pounds to drop, and/or I'd run some drag radials. Lightnings run high 13s around here. There are a precious few that are modified.

A 6.0 just doesn't get me all hot and bothered. Maybe I need to ride in a 6.0 truck. Ls1's are just so damn sexy. Around here the only fast trucks (not super fast either) run Whipple blowers. So boring. I really want to fk with people without boost or juice.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i too have a 4.8. I have put a radix, heads, cam, built 4l60e, 3000 stall converter and 4.11's. I have run 12.6 @109mph with a blown 3rd gear, then with a blown head gasket, and then with a blown #5 piston. There is a lot that you can do with a 4.8. Everyone is building 6.0's or 408's. It is nice to see another 4.8 out there tryin to keep up. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:55 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i also have the little 4.8 an i'm also debating what i want to do.i'm thinking radix but there are somany options out ther its just a bitch to decide.i to will prolly wait to build a fresh ls1 but till then cam,tune,gears,stall will follow the radix or what ever induction i go with.but good luck with your decison.i think it will just be better to beat something fast with a lil 4.8. see ya
Old 09-16-2004, 12:29 PM
MOOBIES Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would build the 4.8 for now, and I like the idea of running an LS1 later down the road. The reasons that you mentioned are exactly why I have an LS1 instead of an LQ4/9.

I think that a 13 second N/A 4.8 is possible--but you will need more than a heads/cam package. The ET's will come from the first 60' of the track. Get a decent tranny/converter/gear/Eaton in that thing, along with the heads/cam and you could easily dip into the high 13s N/A, which is definitely stock L territory. Throw a 100 shot on there and you wouldn't have to worry about non-stock L's either!

See sig for my old LR4 #'s.