Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

tsp224r or tsp224 xe?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 04:04 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
why are you so set on the ls6 springs? the ls6 springs were meant for a stock cam, not something with lobes like the tr220.
I have to agree here, why do you want to take a chance on using the 6 springs. The 918's are cheap insurance..
Old 02-15-2009, 04:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

The SDPC springs AKA PAC 1218s (http://www.sdpc2000.com/product/SDL1...S1Setof16.aspx)

were the original 918s, then comp switched manufacturers and they had all the problems. These are cheaper than 918's and a better spring. I see no reason not to get these since they're only $122.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:17 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
The SDPC springs AKA PAC 1218s (http://www.sdpc2000.com/product/SDL1...S1Setof16.aspx)

were the original 918s, then comp switched manufacturers and they had all the problems. These are cheaper than 918's and a better spring. I see no reason not to get these since they're only $122.
the newer "silver/titanium" colored Comp 918's are alot better that the previous spings that everyone is so scared to run them. IMO they are a great spring and rated to .625" lift
Old 02-15-2009, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

There hasnt been any problems with the 918's in over a year or more, they are a great spring. The PAC springs are also very nice, a drastic improvement over the LS6's, I would steer clear of the LS6 springs. Could run them without a problem, on the other hand....you could have a problem, is it worth the chance? Thats up to you.
The TR220 has a very aggressive lobe, just shy of the XER lobe's from what i've been told (by comp) who grinds their cams.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Any stock spring is only rated/built to handle the cam that it came with. Why would the manufacturer put a bigger, more costly spring on something that doesnt need it? They found the cheapest way to get the spring to handle the size cam they wanted to run, period.
I have 1.85 rockers on my stock springs and cam just for a little kick in the butt, but thats about the only thing that should be done on stock springs of any caliber.

Also, which year of LS6 springs do you have? 01 was .525 lift, 02-04 was .551

Springs are CHEAP insurance against bigger engine damage. You can't shortcut your valvetrain.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Modern_Muscle
Any stock spring is only rated/built to handle the cam that it came with. Why would the manufacturer put a bigger, more costly spring on something that doesnt need it? They found the cheapest way to get the spring to handle the size cam they wanted to run, period.
I have 1.85 rockers on my stock springs and cam just for a little kick in the butt, but thats about the only thing that should be done on stock springs of any caliber.

Also, which year of LS6 springs do you have? 01 was .525 lift, 02-04 was .551

Springs are CHEAP insurance against bigger engine damage. You can't shortcut your valvetrain.
02-04. not trying to be an ***, but the valvesprings were not what this thread was started for. i was asking the difference between the lift on the two cams mentioned, not what valvesprings i should use. there has been many people run the LS6 springs with success, plus, i already have them. besides, if a spring DID fail, that would just be an excuse for me to tell the wife i NEED a new motor, and that it is cheaper for aftermarket forged parts than it is for stock replacement parts
Old 02-15-2009, 07:32 PM
Baltimore Whore

Originally Posted by LS1TRUCKGUY
02-04. not trying to be an ***, but the valvesprings were not what this thread was started for. i was asking the difference between the lift on the two cams mentioned, not what valvesprings i should use. there has been many people run the LS6 springs with success, plus, i already have them. besides, if a spring DID fail, that would just be an excuse for me to tell the wife i NEED a new motor, and that it is cheaper for aftermarket forged parts than it is for stock replacement parts
Well that doesnt seem like a good reason to get a new motor LOL.. We understand that it wasn't started to ask what springs to use, but it was just stated that it would be a WISE choice to up springs, to 918's or something equal to them. All in all it is up to you, if you made your mind up on the 6 springs go for it..... People just trying to help ya out, that has seen the **** break before, possibly save ya a headache, down the road..
Old 02-15-2009, 10:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
Well that doesnt seem like a good reason to get a new motor LOL.. We understand that it wasn't started to ask what springs to use, but it was just stated that it would be a WISE choice to up springs, to 918's or something equal to them. All in all it is up to you, if you made your mind up on the 6 springs go for it..... People just trying to help ya out, that has seen the **** break before, possibly save ya a headache, down the road..
no, i completely understand people are just throwing their advice out there to help out, and that is appreciated, but i am set on the 6's cause thats what i have to work with for now, as said earlier, this is a budget swap. thanks everyone for helping me with the difference between xer and the xe