Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Tune went bad, help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 08:35 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by batboy
Wait... did you pay him to tune the truck or not? I don't understand. What did you drop the truck off for?

Need more info on the dyno. What brand? Were the results reported as STD or SAE (corrected or uncorrected)?

Maybe 50 hp total with cam, headers, supporting mods, and good tune.
yes i paid him for the tune. i dropped the truck off cuz he said he needed an hour or so to do the tune, and i had a buddy that lived right up the street from the shop so my buddy came and picked me up so i could help him out with a couple things then after about an hour we went back to the shop. i believe the brand is DynoJet. as far as std or sae i have no clue. i didnt receive a graph or anything. a guy just told me to call him and have him email me the dyno results with the air/fuel readings. as far as the projected hp gains with the mods im just going off of the input of more experienced guys on here is all, thats where im getting those numbers from.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:38 AM
TECH Regular

a guy at work just mentioned that if the positioning of the MAF sensor is not correct that that can affect performance. this true or untrue? there is an 05 silverado here at work with 75k miles on it that i can swap MAF sensors with and check the positioning if need be.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:24 PM
TECH Regular

ok i had the lead technician at my shop go on a test drive with me so i could duplicate the "pop" and reduced engine power message. i duplicated it and pulled the fault codes. p0103 and p1514. he said that the airflow tables in the tune are wrong just by going off of the test drive and codes. i talked to the tuner to have him send me a copy of the dyno sheet which i should have today or tomorrow. i also went and talked to another tuner about the issue and didnt say and names or businesses and the first person he asked who my truck was by was the person that did it. so i guess i will see what happens once i get the dyno sheet.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:28 PM
TECH Regular

i also switched MAF sensors with that one i mentioned that has 75k miles on it, and i did the switch before i took my lead tech on the test drive.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh herro

Its simple really. Big numbers are not hard to get when on e85. The window for error is much greater than race fuel.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:30 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by marineusmc4
a guy at work just mentioned that if the positioning of the MAF sensor is not correct that that can affect performance. this true or untrue? there is an 05 silverado here at work with 75k miles on it that i can swap MAF sensors with and check the positioning if need be.
Yes, that is true. Can you post a picture of how your MAF is positioned? It is possible that the MAF is positioned so that it reads more air than is actually entering the engine and the tune was scaled to account for it. This can cause the MAF to max out and also trip the error in the airflow vs. TPS table due to calculated cylinder airmass being too high. Any good tuner should know this...but who knows. I have made mistakes more retarded than that before.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by batboy
Wait... did you pay him to tune the truck or not? I don't understand. What did you drop the truck off for?

Need more info on the dyno. What brand? Were the results reported as STD or SAE (corrected or uncorrected)?

Maybe 50 hp total with cam, headers, supporting mods, and good tune.
Only 50hp from LTs intake tune and cam?! I won't throw around any more ricer math, but I will just leave this here....
Silverado 100 Horsepower Performance gain on a budget

I would want to know how your fuel pressure and injector duty cycle is doing? You might need more fuel as has been mentioned. Bigger fuel pump and/or injectors may be needed.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:11 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by smokeshow
Yes, that is true. Can you post a picture of how your MAF is positioned? It is possible that the MAF is positioned so that it reads more air than is actually entering the engine and the tune was scaled to account for it. This can cause the MAF to max out and also trip the error in the airflow vs. TPS table due to calculated cylinder airmass being too high. Any good tuner should know this...but who knows. I have made mistakes more retarded than that before.
i checked the MAF position compared to a stock truck. i had it in the same position. then after i switched MAFs i put the new one on in the same position as it was on the stock truck. ive tried uploaded pics on here cuz as everyone knows they do wonders, but it wont let me. dont know if i dont have enough posts or am too new, not quite sure. maybe im going about it wrong lol. if i cant figure it out ill put up a link to them.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:14 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by gamble686
Only 50hp from LTs intake tune and cam?! I won't throw around any more ricer math, but I will just leave this here....
Silverado 100 Horsepower Performance gain on a budget

I would want to know how your fuel pressure and injector duty cycle is doing? You might need more fuel as has been mentioned. Bigger fuel pump and/or injectors may be needed.
i looked at that link that you posted. the mods done to that truck are the same exact mods i have done, with the exception that that cam is a lil bigger/higher lift. and thats getting that truck 100hp more, but i cant get 50hp more? lol from what i have been told my fuel pump/injectors should be sufficient but i will def try to get that info. will that info be on the dyno sheet? this is the first thing ive ever had tuned/dynoed so i dont even know what all is listed on a dyno sheet other than hp and torque with the graph.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:17 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by marineusmc4
i checked the MAF position compared to a stock truck. i had it in the same position. then after i switched MAFs i put the new one on in the same position as it was on the stock truck. ive tried uploaded pics on here cuz as everyone knows they do wonders, but it wont let me. dont know if i dont have enough posts or am too new, not quite sure. maybe im going about it wrong lol. if i cant figure it out ill put up a link to them.
Host them on photobucket or something similar. Can you have your technician friend hook up the scanner again? Ask him what the value is for "DynCylAir", or cylinder airmass. Get numbers at idle, mild acceleration, and right before it goes into reduced engine power mode.

Quick Reply: Tune went bad, help!!!