Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Tuning issue forces cam change (w/Radix)

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 03:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Zippy
One good thing about adding a cam over stock cam was getting rid of the damn uncontrolable timing (knock) issue we had at 4500 to 4800 rpm...We had to run it rich in that area 11 to 1 ramped up to 11.5 in the 6000 rpm area. Now we can run way leaner in all areas with more timing.

jimbob
Old 09-19-2005, 03:36 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbob
Yeah, I know...I've been working on hotrods sense I was 8. I wish I would of had just a little of his mojo....To bad he's gone, we really lost a knowledge base there....I'm sure he's hotrodding somewhere else now....

Zippy After the CheaTer cam install and tune...We only gained 2 miles an hour and 2 tenths, but on this heavy rig that's probably 40 engine horse. Maybe with alittle more AFR tweaking we might be able to coax just a little more out of this cam...Like tghe same mile an hour would be nice....

cheaTer....out of gear was 15 inches maybe 15.5 if very warm, In gear was 14 inches as long as you did not hit the breaks or turn wheel or have climate control/electric fans come on....then all hell would break loose.

LPE...out of gear was 18 1/4. In gear is 17.5 I believe, only glanced at the gage a few times.

Jimbob
from what I've read 16" seems to be about the min for everything to do what its supposed to, that LPE Cam sounds wonderful
Old 09-19-2005, 06:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jimbob
02Reaper

Where in the hell did you get that avatar? I want one or something close...my little car picture is just sad....

Jimbob
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...ine=1067992935

See if that works. I found it a long time ago on a video that 98snakeeater made.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:50 PM
TECH Addict

Damn... Jim answered everything while I was at work. I knew the LPE was a good cam choice but I was looking for that little "extra." The CheaTR definitely has it. Just not for a HD electronic throttle truck.

A few different circumstances woulda/coulda/shoulda changed the results. A regular throttle might have been good to go. A looser converter might have solved it. Ultimately I just need to be able to give the keys to the wife without the truck giving here problems.

If anyone had any doubts about a "big cam" (personally I consider the CheaTR to be on the small side of medium!) with the Radix this should give some good things to think about. Instead of just saying "cam X" rocks or just living with the problems I'm giving some real no-**** experience that might help another would be fast truck driver

And anyway...IF any horsepower is lost I'll just make it up with the N2O. No problem
Old 09-19-2005, 06:51 PM
TECH Addict

Speaking of big cams... what were the specs on that one you had picked out Grippy?
Old 09-19-2005, 07:38 PM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by CHarris
Speaking of big cams... what were the specs on that one you had picked out Grippy?
mine isn't really big either, on the big side of small IMO, 220/224 581/581 115 XER lobes.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:11 PM
TECH Junkie

this a great thread lots of good info.

everyone seems to overlook the fact that vehicle weight adds alot of problems also it might have been a different story if that setup was in an f-body (takes alot less to move it or turn the wheels than a hummer). Im glad to see someone post there issues with vaccum I know I didnt take that into account when I choose my cam and in retrospect I would have because i do have problems with the wheel over and going slow up a hill.

I guess you cant have your cake and eat it too in the big (relatively) cam world

Thanks for the write up.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:15 PM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by 02sierraz71_5.3
this a great thread lots of good info.

everyone seems to overlook the fact that vehicle weight adds alot of problems also it might have been a different story if that setup was in an f-body (takes alot less to move it or turn the wheels than a hummer). Im glad to see someone post there issues with vaccum I know I didnt take that into account when I choose my cam and in retrospect I would have because i do have problems with the wheel over and going slow up a hill.

I guess you cant have your cake and eat it too in the big (relatively) cam world

Thanks for the write up.
what cam do you have and how many " of vacuum are you seeing at idle in gear and out?
Old 09-19-2005, 11:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by moregrip
what cam do you have and how many " of vacuum are you seeing at idle in gear and out?
LPE gt2-5 222/222 .566 112 lsa its not that big but Ive found its a balance between tuning for low speed manuevers= more cruise control effect, higher idle
tuning out cruise control effect= problems with low speed manuevers

I like having a lower lumpy idle but it makes for problems sometimes. If it was really that bad I would set my idle at 1000 rpms and not worry about it I dont think cam manufacturers expect such a low idle. Just by turning up the idle will solve most peoples problems but who wants an idle at 1200 for a street vehicle. Got to sacrifice something.

I wonder if harris tried turning the idle up to around 1200?
Old 09-19-2005, 11:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 02sierraz71_5.3
... Just by turning up the idle will solve most peoples problems but who wants an idle at 1200 for a street vehicle. Got to sacrifice something.

I wonder if harris tried turning the idle up to around 1200?
Even having it idle at 850 was pissing me off... LOL I wanted a vehicle that is more stealthy. I'm hiding about 600 hp in plain site with the H2

I expect 750 rpm to work and now it does with ease.

Quick Reply: Tuning issue forces cam change (w/Radix)