Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Turbo kit problems ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2004, 04:01 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo kit problems ???

Parish & GMC SKI, both of you guys have said that you love your turbo kits, but you would not recommend others buying them at this time. I am ready to buy this turbo kit, but you guys make me skeptical as to if I should wait awhile. Furthermore, is Seth no longer at CM as he was the one who designed the kit if I remember correctly.

What exactly were your issues with the kits?

Do you know if the issues have been resolved?

Thanks guys
Old 06-05-2004, 04:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

others will chime in on this, but i think the reason that they were not recommending them was because they were new and its just not bolt a turbo on your truck and go, a little more involved with the kits being new and all , And i also think it was being compared to the radix, which is a pretty complete kit that can be installed by pretty much anybody, then turn the key and drive sorta thing.
Old 06-05-2004, 04:56 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my situation... i was about 1 week from geting a tig welder and atempting to make my own kit. i wanted a turbo that bad. i would buy the kit again even with the problems but thats just me, i wanted one that bad. i think i ordered the kit the day after they said it was ready to sell.

i wouldn't recomend the kit to too many people at this time unless you are like i was, really wanting a turbo and willing to do some work to make it work.

list of problems with the kit.

said it would take 3-4weeks, took 4 months
lots of missing parts and overnight shipments required(at least 15 small parts)
top piping didn't fit at all, prety much had to reengener it(several problems)
cross over pipe hit the drive shaft, i fixed it myself rather than wait a month. 4wd problem
the design of the header has the waste gate hitting the shock tower HARD. 4wd problem
ordered and paid for a cut out and extra o2 bung on the exhaust and didn't get it
plug wires melted within a block of the first test drive.
wheel well melted
the large ac line doesn't really fit, i got it to fit but had to bend it alot and it is still close to the downpipe
instructions were WORTHLESS
intercooler didn't have any support and ducting was not strong enuff to support it
latest problem is a cracked header
worst of all, as much bull **** as seth fed me he did really know his **** and was a great resource, now he is gone. i dont know sam and the other guys well enuff to say that about them.

They are standing behind their product and i believe they are continuing development and refinements of the kit. Seth sent me out the missing parts about as fast as i found out they were missing. they are sending me a new header to replace the cracked one. they said they will replace the waste gate if it gets damaged before they have time to engener a new header that relocates it.
Old 06-05-2004, 05:05 PM
12 Second Truck Club

So far my STS kit has been a breeze. He had the base kit installed and working the first day NP and that was taking his time to make things look nice.

The only time consuming part of my install was my complex Alky kit. Lots of wires to run and solder.

On 5psi the things felt really good and really set you back in the seat. He has it at 10psi now and is checking for any bugs with the install.

Apparently he is pissing alot of other street racer wannabees off in the truck while data loggin. He even ran a SC LS1 Camaro and they said if he would have launched in 4whi instead of buring off the tires into 2nd gear they might have stood a better chance, as it was they think they might have been pullin on him a lil. LOL

Only issues with the STS kit as i see it are:

#1 for high boost situtation you need to upgrade the turbo and exhaust housing. They know this now and I'm sure any kits sent out for this type of racing will already be properly upgraded. (I'm waiting on my upgrade form Garret)

#2 For high boost applications you will either need to fab in an intercooler OR save some cash and do an Alky system which is better IMO for racing.

But for the money you can easily do #1 and #2, add in bigger injectors, pusher fuel pump, etc and still be in the price range of the CM kit. If you want to copy Parish and make a full on street crusher though I would wait to see what kind of #s I put out before you decide because his T76 is a tough # to follow. LOL
Old 06-05-2004, 05:12 PM
TECH Addict

So when are you getting it?? I still havent gotten mine back either . Im excited to see what you think of this kit. The way things are looking our trans may even take a crap at the same time . Im having to baby mine until I figure out what Im going to do.
Old 06-05-2004, 05:18 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by greentahoe
So when are you getting it?? I still havent gotten mine back either . Im excited to see what you think of this kit.
From the excitement of everyone else in my club I am guessing I will be pleased. The guys that are riding in it all have head/cam LS1 Z28s/Firehawks, Trans Ams etc and they all think it is the bomb. One of em even thinks that when it is all done and with the right amount of boost it may be faster than my T/A was N/A! i think he is full of it though. He PM'd me on my board and mentioned the race with the SC Camaro though and that kinda blows me away. LOL

He is keeping it till Tue. probably. He was gonna finish it on Sunday but today is his wifes birthday and he has a clutch to work on. He also wants to finish up any little loose ends. I guess there was a lil problem with poppin fuses on the oil pump for the kit and it spewed some oil into the intake piping and such so he wants to make sure the truck is 100% reliable or as much as it can be with this much work done to it before I get it back since I live so far away fro the shop.

But yeah, I am babying my trans when i get it back. We put some TQ managment back in to help me along.
Old 06-05-2004, 05:23 PM
Launching!

Parish,

As with your problems you informed CM of all of them and I would assume they are re-engineering as we speak. I have waited a number of weeks since you installed your kit in hopes that the kinks would be worked out. How long should I wait is what is killing me.

Also, you metioned the A/C lines not fitting, another one of my concerns is that my truck has a 3 inch body lift on it. My first idea was that they could make a 3 inch extension for between the exhaust header and turbo and that would put the rest of the components in the proper position. From what you have said do you think installing the kit without the any type of extension, it would be located 3 inches deeper into the engine bay and thus be better off. Your thoughts?

GMC SKI - Your input?????

Oh yeah, Parish, please quit posting videos until I get a kit for myself, you are really not helping the situation

J/K
Old 06-05-2004, 05:36 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a 3" body lift will change things a little, i would just try it and see what you need to do. lifting the turbo would change several things and probably not be the easiest way to make it work. the down pipe wouldnt fit, the waste gate wouldn't fit, the upper tubing will be higher than the intake.

for a 2wd guy that really wanted the kit i would say order away and work thru the problems. for a 4wd you are going to see all the problems i have, i dont think they have even started working on any of them.
Old 06-05-2004, 05:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by parish8
for a 4wd you are going to see all the problems i have, i dont think they have even started working on any of them.
Old 06-05-2004, 07:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

just get a radix. thats what i want

Quick Reply: Turbo kit problems ???