Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

turbo setup

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 11:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo setup

k its been a while since i have been on here but i need some opinions.

k in the new truck i have it came with a 4.8 and i am in a pretty big debate on what i wanna do with this truck. either do another engine swap or boost this engine.

and i am more than likey just gonna turbo this engine

i ran into a buddy of mine i havent seen in a while today who own's his own shop and he and i got to talking about what i should do to 4.8 if i dont do an engine swap. he came up with the idea of doing a turbo setup with a Z06 cam. (which i have already been thinking about strongly)

i looked up the specs on the Z06 cam (205/219 .551/.549 117 LSA) << and someone please correct me if i am wrong on those specs but i was kinda looking for something a little bit bigger in size of the cam if it will be a good idea. something more like a 212/212 .558/558 113 LSA ?? im not sure though...

i dont know how much power the 4.8 will be able to take but i would like to have it make as much power as i possibly can.

the turbo setup i am looking at is the front mount setup from Trick performance with a water/air intercooler. seems like a good setup and better than the STS kit.

also, what about running a small shot of N2O?? maybe no bigger than a 75 shot?

i dont know a whole lot about turbo setups and what all i should/need to do. these are all ideas that have been running through my head all day and just now been able to make a post to get some suggestions. so please, any and all opinions and suggestions are very welcomed!!
Old 06-19-2008, 12:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

also, what set of heads would be good for a turbo setup?

and also found the GT2-3 & GT7 cams that might be good for a turbo

http://www.lingenfelter.com/store/l210085297.html

http://www.lingenfelter.com/store/l210095297.html
Old 06-19-2008, 08:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone?
Old 06-19-2008, 09:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like you'r expecting big things out of this motor...which is somewhat possible. But if your willing to take the time and build a 6.0l you will be left with a much better reward. just my 2 cents. dont forget to build that tranny too.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

It seems like your expecting alot out of a stock little 4.8. I would leave the stock heads on there and put the money towards something else. With FI you don't really need high flowing heads since your forcing the air in. I think the Z06 cam would be ok for it, but the second choice is alitte to much LSA for small boosted motor. I would either build a nice 6.0 for it. Or get the turbo kit with a nice air to air intercooler and a water/ meth kit on it. And if you plan on turning the boost up, make sure the tune is spot on or that 4.8 doesnt have a chance. And invest in a good wideband and fuel pressure gauges. And I would save the nitrous for when you get a good set or rods and pistons in there. And If you need a tranny to put behind there give me a PM.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by built408
It seems like your expecting alot out of a stock little 4.8. I would leave the stock heads on there and put the money towards something else. With FI you don't really need high flowing heads since your forcing the air in. I think the Z06 cam would be ok for it, but the second choice is alitte to much LSA for small boosted motor. I would either build a nice 6.0 for it. Or get the turbo kit with a nice air to air intercooler and a water/ meth kit on it. And if you plan on turning the boost up, make sure the tune is spot on or that 4.8 doesnt have a chance. And invest in a good wideband and fuel pressure gauges. And I would save the nitrous for when you get a good set or rods and pistons in there. And If you need a tranny to put behind there give me a PM.
thanks for the input man. that helps a lot. guess i will just go with a Z06 cam and a turbo set up for now and then do a bigger engine later on with the turbo. and ya as far as the tranny, i have talked to you about it before. and i am still interested and will prob be coming to you with with whenever i get the money
Old 06-19-2008, 03:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

You can make good power out of a ZO6 cam only, 4.8 and an intercooled turbo, look at my numbers, that and meth is pretty much what I have. Well actually, I have the Vinci Ultra torque can, which is very similar to the Z06 cam. Those numbers where at 11-12psi of boost
Old 06-19-2008, 05:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hmm...those are some pretty nice numbers there!
Old 06-19-2008, 05:34 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

PM charcold-bowtie he is running a trick kit on a 4.8..
Old 06-19-2008, 06:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
PM charcold-bowtie he is running a trick kit on a 4.8..

sweet thanks man

any more ideas/suggestions?

Quick Reply: turbo setup