Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

turbo vs centrifical vs twin screw (kenne bell)

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2003, 03:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo vs centrifical vs twin screw (kenne bell)

I would like some info from real people who have had these personally as well as opinions. I have a 200 GMC sierra with the 5.3. I want a good power adder that I can drive everyday but I want it fast.I have a 88 mustang with a healthy dose of NOS that runs 6.30s in the 1/8th @ 110mph.I saw a LS1 camaro at Beach Bend drag Strip with a turbo that ran a 9.87 in the 1/4 and would like somthing similar for my truck .I also HAD a 99 stang with a vortech charger that I loved but cant help to feel that a turbo would be the way to go. I got on the kenne bell web site and they made some good points about there screw type charger ( modified roots )I will be doing no towing , I would like some reliable power. Sorry about all the mustang but they are just so dang cheap not to buy and play with. I am a CHEVY guy. I also have a 95 s-10 with a lt-1 4l60e that has been in the truck since 97. PLEASE HELP
Old 10-01-2003, 03:33 PM
On The Tree

Default Re: turbo vs centrifical vs twin screw (kenne bell)

if it were me, i would go for the twin screw, TORQUE RULES!!
Old 10-01-2003, 04:16 PM
Launching!

I didn't know they made a GMC Sierra back in 200

I have the Magnacharger Radix on my Silverado SS. Went from a 1/4 mile time of 15.3, stock to 13.9. It is a well done kit and I have yet to see any complaints about it.
Here is a chart that is a comparison between my supercharged SS and another guys (SinsisterSS) stock SS.

I looked at the Kenne Bell (and Whipple) in my supercharger search. A screw type supercharger works on a very different principle than a roots, so it could not even remotely be called a "modified roots". Screw type compressors do have similar characteristics to roots blowers in the way the power comes on at low rpms. The main advantages of the screw type are in the more efficient compression of the air and the lower heating of the air during compression. Despite the lower temperatures they make, I still think an intercooler is needed. Look at the popularity of water injection for Whipple and Kenne Bell superchargers to help when the weather gets hot. The lack of an intercooler is the main reason I passed on the Whipple. If you live in a hot weather part of the country, you might want to drop BigTex a message (he is in Texas ) He was not too impressed with his Whipple in the Texas heat.
Old 10-01-2003, 04:38 PM
Launching!

Since this is a daily driver, I would recommend the twin screw, main reason being the instant torque it provides and the fun factor. Don't get me wrong, turbos are the only way to go for an all-out project, but the twin screw would be easier to set up and more fun on the street. Not to mention cost. Of course, I could be wrong!
Ryan

Old 10-01-2003, 05:09 PM
Teching In

i got the " modified roots " straight from the kenne bell web site . This is how they describe there own product. I have other daily drivers ( 02 Denali on spinning 24s, 01 jeep wrangler on 39.5s , 69 camaro on 20s , 70 c-10 on 20s , and a factory 2001 honda civic) so this does not have to be all that practical. I appreciate the input and hope it keeps coming. AGAIN THANK YOU
Old 10-01-2003, 06:49 PM
TECH Resident

You have some awesome rides... why not throw a charger on the denali as well . Do you have a webpage with pics/specs of your cars?
Old 10-01-2003, 06:53 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

David - Are those graphs of MAF readings(lbs/min*10) for horsepower plotted against rpm? What program did you get them with. Just curious.

Thanks
Old 10-01-2003, 07:13 PM
Teching In

Hey I would have to say A turbo would be awesome, all kinds of room and alot of potential to be gained there although a whipple or radix super nice, But if you put heads and cam on and threw on a power adder of any kind you will be making some serious power. QMP made a kit for the fbody and it gained 221hp over bone stock at the rear wheels at 8 or 9lbs of boost. The cool thing about turbos on a truck is no one is doing that and It would be cool to do something that no one else is doing. Whatever you do make it fast.
Old 10-01-2003, 07:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

ya i hear you. if i could come up with a turbo kit for my ss i would do it but know one makes a kit.
Old 10-01-2003, 09:30 PM
Teching In

who do I contact for a turbo ?

Quick Reply: turbo vs centrifical vs twin screw (kenne bell)