Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

underdrive pulley - adverse effect?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2004, 10:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default underdrive pulley - adverse effect?

I'm looking at throwing an underdrive pulley on while I'm doing my cam swap. I really haven't researched this mod much, so I need to start now.

Wouldn't the crank underdrive pulley make the waterpump and fan spin slower and raise coolant temps?

If I didn't get an alternator overdrive am I gonna be shutting off or not have enough power to push a the stock speakers + 2 6x9s?

Is my a/c gonna run near as well?

Thanks,
Derek
Old 07-24-2004, 11:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

At idle ... everything runs slower than it was designed. If you have a hint of overheating problems now ... they will show up in stop and go traffic.

Where I live it's seldom that I see traffic l;ioke that, so I wasn't bothered by it while I had mine. I wouldn't get one again if I had the option. I could tell a difference but the side efects weren't worth it I don't think.
Old 07-25-2004, 01:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Flyer
At idle ... everything runs slower than it was designed. If you have a hint of overheating problems now ... they will show up in stop and go traffic.

Where I live it's seldom that I see traffic l;ioke that, so I wasn't bothered by it while I had mine. I wouldn't get one again if I had the option. I could tell a difference but the side efects weren't worth it I don't think.
Just curious, what issues did you hvae with yours?
Old 07-25-2004, 09:09 AM
Formerly one92rs

Talking

i have one and im unser that it is a great piece. i think i have run the same times with and without it.i think it is one of them per truck mods.some gain and some lose.i sold my last one and i am thinking about selling theis one but i am not sure.everything just seems to run smoother with the stock one.
Old 07-25-2004, 10:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

It's been a while .. but I wanna say it was something like the temperature would climb up if I would sit and idle for a little while. This wasn't in the heat of the summer yet either. I could hold the idle around 1k rpm and it would start to fall. I did have e-fans at the time so it wasn't because of lack of air flow.The altenator didn't spin fast enough ... it would sit at about 12.6 at idle and come up to about 13.3 at 1k rpms. I didn't have the alt pulley either though. THe power steering was kinda sluggish at low speed manuvering, but it wasn't unbearable or near as cruciale as I would consider the cooling problem. In the end .. I just thought I would look elsewhere for somewhere to gain power.
Old 07-25-2004, 11:01 AM
Formerly one92rs

Talking

yay i dont think there is much gained by them. i think i will remove mine pretty soon and sell it to. i just dont see all the gain from it.
Old 07-25-2004, 12:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

I was a little skeptic before put mine on. I did notice a nice difference right away. Along with that nice difference I also noticed drop in voltage when I am sitting in trafic. Here are some dyno results just from the crank pulley.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ght=asp+pulley
Old 07-25-2004, 02:48 PM
Formerly one92rs

Talking

ok now i am going to leave t alone.
Old 07-25-2004, 04:29 PM
Truck addict

people have to remember, the more stuff you have done to your engine to make it go fast the less you will feel the pulley when you add it. such as, having all bolt-on's cam and heads and then adding a pulley will not make a nice sotp feel that a person with just exhaust and intake will have when they add the pulley. hope that makes sense.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:15 PM
On The Tree

incase anyone cares i dunno if anyone has pulled there eng apart after using one of these pullies or not. but i know in a honda (like i said if anyone cares) if you use a crank underdrive pully (even well built ones) they will couse your mains to wear very fast talking like 10k or less fast they can couse very bad problems with the bottom end of the motor. may be diffrent in a chevy not sure but they suck for honda engs. just something to think about. cause that thing don't make near enough power worth the risk. IMO

Quick Reply: underdrive pulley - adverse effect?