Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Understanding TQ Management?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 11:44 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Understanding TQ Management?

I have a 6.0 lq4 that I have instructed my programmer to pull out the TQ management. He is already getting rid of the emmissions systems as well. I just want to make sure I understand what I am doing. If I understand this....the TQ management system prevents wide open throttle at times to prevent tranny damage. So if this is right removing TQ management doesn't improve HP ratings or TQ ratings it simply lets you utilize all the available power.

Do I have this right?

Did I make the right decision here?... My Tranny is the 4l80e and the truck is pretty light (Fiberglass body) but I am running 38 inch tires.

Thanks
Old 04-17-2007, 12:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

First, I removed all TM from mt Tahoe when I had FLT built the trans. I will give you my explanation. Torque management monitors the trans to reduce engine power when it thinks it may damage the trans. The best example to me was the 1-2 shift at WOT. When it shifted, it felt like the truck almost died for a second before it kicks in. During that shift, the computer pulls timing to drastically reduce power output and you can really feel the bog. After reprogramming, the truck shifts nice and fast and the power stays on. You may want to consider a shift kit or a built trans if you are removing all TM.

Really, it is just a computer controlled reduction in power to save the light weight 4L60E they put in 6,000lb trucks. With your 4L80E, your trans will probably be fine with no TM.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:53 AM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your pretty much right. It just reduces the engines output on low end WOT so the trans will last.

Taking it off is going to free up that lost power but reduce the life of the trans. Alot of people have been suggesting that you get a shift kit, corvette servo, and trans cooler to make it last a lil longer.

I haven't done it yet, but I been doing alot of reading so I can get started on mine.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

all this reading and now I'm paranoid that my tranny is gonna a **** on me at any second
Old 04-18-2007, 10:29 PM
TECH Resident

in an EC with a 60e i'd be a little leary of pulling all TQ Mangement (engine and tranny). in RC and lighther trucks i wouldn't worry about it. no TQM, no servos, no shift kit in mine, a 3K stall and 72K on the clock and she's still kickin.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a 6.0 with a cam and bolt ons with no TM, 4.10 LSD with 80# W&T combo, have 150k on the original 4L60E. Have even made a couple dozen runs with slicks. When I bought the truck, I installed a plate style cooler and vette servo, and I change the fluid and filter every 25k or so. Still shifts great! After always reading all the tranny failures on this site, I like to brag about mine. :-)
Old 04-20-2007, 04:48 AM
Praise The Lowered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kirtondog23
I have a 6.0 lq4 that I have instructed my programmer to pull out the TQ management. He is already getting rid of the emmissions systems as well. I just want to make sure I understand what I am doing. If I understand this....the TQ management system prevents wide open throttle at times to prevent tranny damage. So if this is right removing TQ management doesn't improve HP ratings or TQ ratings it simply lets you utilize all the available power.

Do I have this right?

Did I make the right decision here?... My Tranny is the 4l80e and the truck is pretty light (Fiberglass body) but I am running 38 inch tires.

Thanks
Before T/M in pcm's I used to blow up 700-r4's all the time in my 91 sc/sb ,the motor was built to about 355 hp/379tq ,I beleive the 80-e is a turbo 400 with o/d so it is a little more beefy so you should be fine,worst comes to worst...build your tranny after it goes out thats what I did to my 65-e behind a blown 6.0...been fine ever since
Old 04-20-2007, 11:05 AM
Launching!

Well I bit the bullet and told my guy to take out the TM! I should have some protection with the 4l80e but I am running big tires so we will see.

Thanks for all the input.

How if I can just get the wiring and computer back from Florida then I can get this thing on the road!