Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

upcoming lq9 swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 11:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
What do you expect? You're comparing a new, warrantied engine to a used non-warrantied engine. Go with the used one hands down. I would highly recommend Schram Autoparts from what I've seen. I learned my lesson. When buying a used engine don't skimp out. One from Schram may cost $2500, but it will be packaged perfectly, have all parts, and it will have been removed from the vehicle professionally. Anything less is just a crapshoot.

Thanks for the info.. I saw Schram Autoparts on ebay, seemed like good prices..
Old 09-25-2008, 12:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RST2NV
Thanks for the info.. I saw Schram Autoparts on ebay, seemed like good prices..
I've learned my lesson. If I had to do it again I'd get 6.0 from Schram. The guys at the shop who helped me swap had an LS1 from schram and it was impeccable. Everything was packaged perfectly and the engine, manifolds, trans, wiring, etc were all removed professionally. Word is they get their engines directly from GM test vehicles.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought mine from Pete's, but if I were buying it for a lower milage vehicle I'd have went through Schram. They are by far a top notch used parts store.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Charlie,
the PCM arrived today.

Originally Posted by SnakeOiler
And curiousity is killing me - what do you do that causes you to drive that much?!
Best way to put it is roadkill inspector for a longterm research project.
Utilizing the skills I learned in the Air Force I have to count the types of animals, note the approx level of decay, the animals age,
Live maggot count, note the location, time of day that I see it, weather conditions, if it is a major highway or backroad,
Location on the higway (side of the road, in a turn, etc) human population vs the expected animal population in that area, etc...
State and local offices and also a few colleges study the results. Essentially they are looking at ways to control the
Human encroachment on wildlife. By doing so the goal is to learn how to control both and allow both to live together.
IT is a cool job for now. The best part is being out on my own and traveling the countryside.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:22 PM
On The Tree

I pulled the intake and all of the 6.0 today only to discover oil sitting on top of the front right intake valve. I'm not sure of the cylinder orientation and can't find my book to say what number it is.

Anyway, the valve was closed so it must be at TDC. A few of the other valves on the right were wet with oil but of course they are open. Not much oil on the other side but the plug threads are wet with oil.

I'm beginning to think I need to pull the heads before I fire the motor with a cylinder or two of oil.

Any thoughts?

EDIT: the one that still had oil in it was filled so that the valve wasnt even visible. That's alot of oil. And would explain why there was oil in the intake manifold.

And now that I think about it, the junkyard rotated the engine before loading into the truck. I guess to make sure that it wasn't frozen. so that could possibly mean there is lots of oil inside the combustion chamber. this sucks.

Last edited by 69Boss302; 09-27-2008 at 11:23 PM. Reason: pic additive
Old 09-27-2008, 10:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 69Boss302
Best way to put it is roadkill inspector for a longterm research project.
Utilizing the skills I learned in the Air Force I have to count the types of animals, note the approx level of decay, the animals age,
Live maggot count, note the location, time of day that I see it, weather conditions, if it is a major highway or backroad,
Location on the higway (side of the road, in a turn, etc) human population vs the expected animal population in that area, etc...
State and local offices and also a few colleges study the results. Essentially they are looking at ways to control the
Human encroachment on wildlife. By doing so the goal is to learn how to control both and allow both to live together.
IT is a cool job for now. The best part is being out on my own and traveling the countryside.
Very interesting. Thanks for the info, that is a cool job - other than filling up your truck every day.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:04 PM
On The Tree

yeah, filling up everyday can really hurt.

I looked at the mileage log tonight when I got back in. From the 2nd thru today I have done just shy of 9,000 miles this month already.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

that doesn't look good at all. The heads on my 6.0 didn't have anything in it
Old 09-29-2008, 01:47 PM
On The Tree

It's going back tomorrow morning. They wanted to offer me a few other motors with 70k and 80k. They wanted to tell me that I should just do a compression check. If everything checks out, rotate each cylinder to TDC and tilt it over to drain any oil. I'm sorry, but I'm not going to pay more for what is supposedly a better motor only to have to open it up to fix something that may or may not be wrong. If that was the case, I'd have bought a motor with higher miles.

Then when I told them I found the IAAI website and verified the higher than advertised mileage and confirmed it with the former owners, it was real easy to get a refund.

Moving on, I managed to find a complete longblock with 15,000 miles for $1300 shipped. The only thing missing will supposedly be the AC compressor. If anything at all is wrong with it when it arrives, I only have to call them and they will schedule a pickup promptly. And it comes with a decent warranty too.
Old 10-03-2008, 04:38 PM
On The Tree

New motor is scheduled for delivery on Monday.

Quick Reply: upcoming lq9 swap