Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Update on my plans

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 09:20 AM
MOOBIES Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SportSide 5.3
I'd use the c-motion custom, before the TSP grind...
Originally Posted by SportSide 5.3
I myself wouldn't use cam-motion. I follow another cam-design approach. Follow is the key word there
Okay, now I'm really confused. I've been trying to select a cam based on performance results. I unfortunately don't understand all of the intricate details that you do about cam selection.

I see your point, but can you give me an idea of some ranges that you think I should be looking in (i.e. More duration, less lift, etc).
Old 02-18-2005, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey scream, What is the reason for swapping in a 4l80 rather than the flp or team tripp?
Old 02-18-2005, 11:05 AM
MOOBIES Moderator

When I bought it almost a year ago it was "the thing to do." Now, I think the Level 5 65-e from FLP is really what I want to do, but I already have everything to do the swap.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Do you know what kind of horsepower rating they give on the flp's? And any idea what makes the level 5 soo much more expensive than the level 4?
Old 02-18-2005, 11:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Scream
If not the 233/239, then what would you recommend?
Lingenfelter GT1.

Its F-in nuts from 3200 to 6500rpms. And with a big stall its scary even to give it half throttle at 20mph. Nice mean lope too, and I am getting about 320 miles per tank around town and a little highway.

LPE cams arent very much either.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:32 AM
MOOBIES Moderator

Originally Posted by 12sec.5.3
Do you know what kind of horsepower rating they give on the flp's? And any idea what makes the level 5 soo much more expensive than the level 4?
It has cryo-treated parts and a whole bunch of other stuff that Chuck told me about when I called him. I'm not sure how to get in touch w/ him now (the link that Jim posted never worked for me) but there were some other differences that I just can't remember now. Plus, at the time, the 80-e seemed cheaper...I still have less in all of my conversion stuff including the Yank than JUST the Level 5 is by itself. I have been shopping around though.

All told, I really wish that I'd have stayed w/ a 60-e, but I'm too far into it now to change my mind. I tried selling the 80-e and got no real interest in it.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would choose 80 over the FLP anyday! Your doing the Transgo kit on the 80 right? Here how I look at it If you do kill a 80 with the Transgo which is very strong but possible you then get the 80 rebuilt and it is a 1000hp tranny and thats it! yeah its heavy and a power robber but you dont have to worry about it -escpecially after its rebuilt! Good to hear you getting back on the truck. Have you started buying parts? You gonna be selling your 224?
Old 02-18-2005, 01:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Scream,

I'm sure you are well aware of matching things. Combination. Lets think about the motor. Duration is spotted @ certain valve lift. .05, .200, .006 (advertised) exc.

The duration is the amount of time, those valves are staying open.

On a stock headed vehicle, you may tuck 140+* of duration @ .200'' valve lift. Decent sized camshaft. Now, on a vehicle with say AFR225 heads, your combo may need less. The head is flowing so well, that a large duration camshaft is not needed. If you do spot to much duration on any combo, you will shift your desired rpm range where you don't want it.

When you combine that 140* @ .2'' with a LS1 head that flows 120cfm @ .2, this equals a good combo.
When you combine that 140* @ .2'' with a AFR225 head that flows 150cfm @ .2, for a desired rpm range, this could be considered overcammed. Depending on the rest of the lobe of course.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:34 AM
MOOBIES Moderator

Time to bring this one outta the woodworks...just got my bonus yesterday!

So I've been trying to figure out the things I need to read up on to come up with a good combo. Things like static compression ratio vs. dynamic CR, what CR o go with, cam choice, stuff like that. Is there any good online source for some things I should look out for when trying to put together a good combination? I'm trying to learn as I go, but a lot of what I found isn't really explaining any of this stuff in a way that I understand it. Any other things that I should be aware of when considering what all I want to put into the motor?
Old 03-04-2005, 10:09 AM
TECH Junkie

You have a good cam, now just do the more simple and reliable thing and add a turbo.

One thing i know for sure is a fast N/A truck is cool, but driving it around everywhere can really suck. At F1 dyno we figured 482 at the crank and thats nice and all, but a stock 5.3 with 9psi would beat that and be more reliable and easy daily driver.

I know this goes against all that i normaly say, but i know you love driving your truck and drive it alot.

Quick Reply: Update on my plans