Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Update on my plans

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 10:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What happened to this?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281552
Old 03-04-2005, 11:37 AM
MOOBIES Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't get even one email or PM about it. I was going to put it in the trader, but decided that I might as well fix it up for me instead of fix it up to sell.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:49 AM
MOOBIES Moderator

Originally Posted by Snake Eater
You have a good cam, now just do the more simple and reliable thing and add a turbo.

One thing i know for sure is a fast N/A truck is cool, but driving it around everywhere can really suck. At F1 dyno we figured 482 at the crank and thats nice and all, but a stock 5.3 with 9psi would beat that and be more reliable and easy daily driver.

I know this goes against all that i normaly say, but i know you love driving your truck and drive it alot.
You gotta remember:

a) I don't have a 5.3 right now, I have a knocking LS1 and a 4.8 that's been sitting on an engine stand for over a year. Either of them need rebuilding, why rebuild the 4.8 when I can have a 5.7 (or 6.3 )

b) I'd love to go turbo, but there's no way that I'll have the money to do it the way that I want. I can't go w/ an STS kit b/c the truck is too low. Any of the other kits are going to be in the $5k range, and I can't afford that right now.

Maybe I'll do some sort of FI instead of heads/cam later on, but right now the 383 looks to be the cheapest route for me to take. I think that a reliable and fairly easy 425-450hp should make for a nice driver with the 3200 stall and 4.10s. Might not get the best gas mileage, but that's why I have the Saturn. Actually, the main reason I want to go 383 vs 346 is to get a little more power/torque without having a combo w/ bad manners.
Old 03-04-2005, 01:15 PM
TECH Veteran

cooool.

glad your keeping the truck.

what's your budget?
Old 03-04-2005, 01:21 PM
MOOBIES Moderator

Right now, about $4500. But, the tranny and rear end have to come outta that. Here's what I've got so far for my plans:

Eaton/4.10s/installed w/ T/A girdle $1000
TransGo install $275
Tranny Crossmember $250 (local)
Engine Machine Work $500
Rotating assy $2000
Headers $400

I guess I'm going to stay w/ the TR224 until I can afford to get heads/cam and an LS6 intake.
Old 03-04-2005, 01:30 PM
TECH Veteran

well keep finding them deals like you are so good at doing

the dcr and **** can get tricky. if you go to the right grinder, they can pretty much get you what you want.

here's part of a p.m. i had with Jerami (JRP)

with the domes, 5.7 heads milled .020 (64.7cc), .045 cometic MLS gasket, and my deck height SCR cam out to 12.02

one of my requests to ed was to get my DCR in the 8.5 - 9.0 range in attempt to run pump gas. quench is set at .035, am running 160 stat, and head chambers are fully polished. i did everything i with the engine to ward ofF detonation.
Here's a basic tutorial he made on cams.
Old 03-04-2005, 01:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Incase you are interested though...

Dynamic Compression Ration = Cylinder vol. + clearance vol. + piston Comp. vol. + gasket vol. + chamber vol. divided by Clearance vol. + piston vol. + gasket vol. + chamber vol.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:01 PM
MOOBIES Moderator

OKay Kyle, that's what I'm talking about. How do you find all of that stuff out? I read the FAQ that you posted, but most of that stuff I already have read. I'll just have to read further into some of the threads that I've found. It's like trying to learn a lifetime of knowledge in a few days...I know everyone says "use the search button" but damn it's hard to figure out what to search for at times.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:45 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Scream
OKay Kyle, that's what I'm talking about. How do you find all of that stuff out?
Chris Straub, 93pony, EDC. To name a few.
Old 03-04-2005, 03:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Scream
Time to bring this one outta the woodworks...just got my bonus yesterday!

So I've been trying to figure out the things I need to read up on to come up with a good combo. Things like static compression ratio vs. dynamic CR, what CR o go with, cam choice, stuff like that. Is there any good online source for some things I should look out for when trying to put together a good combination?
I downloaded a Dynamic Compresion Ratio (DCR) calculator off a link on this site. I love plugging numbers into it. I'll try to dig it up for ya.

The general rule that I heard, is not much over: 10.8:1 in a heavy truck (read, ECSB 4x4 or so), and 8.5:1 DRC on pump gas. You ideally want to be over 7.5:1... but that's very easy in these motors. You want a tight squish or quench - I don't believe you want to go under .030" - but you do want it tighter than the stock .050 or so "while you're in there". Those aren't exact number - I'll have to run a search on those too.

Quick Reply: Update on my plans