Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

UPDATE...thread # 3 or 4 ha ha

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 12:06 PM
formerly silverbrick (changed 02/17/2013)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UPDATE...thread # 3 or 4 ha ha

alright so i thought i would start off this thread on a much better note. this is an update on the f-ck meineke thread, all you guys who said its not a PITA, and about to install LT's and need pointers. i recently got back from Affordable Muffler. manuel is very very good. i just sat in the shop and joked with he and the apprentice william while they worked on the truck. the reused some of my mandrel bend piping for an elbow but custom bent some more to do a full custom Y. the sound is much much more enjoyable and "civilized" as my dad says. it was 160 cash for the Y and all the welds etc. he said he worked with meineke for years being told to try and screw everyone as much as he can. runs decent and sounds good.
few issue though,
1. of course its runnign very rich, ill get that tuned out friday or saturday
2. also with the tuning and fuel issue as well, when the convert locks up at a moderatly low speed, i.e. 40-50, if i try to accelerate and just jerks and jolts back and forth like the rpms are jumping like 50rpm up and down or somehting like that but once up to about 55 and beyond it accelerate smoothly so thats why im thinkin its with the tune.
3. when trying to accelerate, if i push harder in the gas and go up to 3000ish rpm, i can hear one "pop" backfiring noise until i let off a little but its not as bad as it was open header. i figure this is because of the amount of fuel in the exhaust from running so rich?

any comments on my issue everyone?

and i thank all of you for following me through my quest for LT's AND an ORY. i bid you all adieu for now.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The Jerking issue my truck does it also with my fuddle converter...I think it has something to do with the PWM in the transmission...I just cranked my PWM duty cycle WAY up and it stopped for the most part. Someone may be able to give better advice, but its working.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:19 PM

whats PMW? could it lead to blowing your tranny if you crank the duty cycle up and dont give it much time to rest? thanks for the info, glad im not the only one
Old 08-08-2006, 12:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's pulse with modulation...do you have the vaccum mod on your trans? I am not exactly sure how it works, but I am reasonably sure it only effects your converter lock-up. Another suggestion John at fuddle made was to add a little bit of gear oil to the trans oil to thicken it up a bit so you have a little more viscosity at higher trans temps (mine was only doing it at 180+). I don't know what all you have done to your trans, but I would suggest giving John a call real quick.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:23 PM
TECH Regular

PWM = Pulse Width Modulation.

With PWM, the transmission can regulate the pressure of the TCC Apply/Lock pressure without effecting transmission clutch/band apply pressure. Great for OEM converters making for nice soft locks and unlocks. But BAD for aftermarket converters.

And no, the TCC PWM effects only the torque converter, not the rest of the transmission. So rest assured that you'll destroy your transmission one day, but it wont be from PWM settings
Old 08-08-2006, 01:16 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RoninsDenali
PWM = Pulse Width Modulation.
So rest assured that you'll destroy your transmission one day, but it wont be from PWM settings
Old 08-08-2006, 01:21 PM

so are you saying its not a good thing for me to mess with the PMW with my aftermarket converter? ill email john at fuddle and hopefully theyll respond and all. i have done everything in my sig to my trans. can anyone answer any of my other issues? thanks for the help on the jolting lock problem
Old 08-08-2006, 01:25 PM
TECH Regular

No, you want to set your PWM minimum duty cycle, across the board to something like 98%. I have my PWM Min all at 98%, and PWM Max at 99%. Any lower on the minimum end and my Yank would chatter a bit on lockup. Now its quiet and has a nice solid lockup.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:29 PM

oh ok i unerstand what you mean, low duty cycle is good for stock converters but bad for aftermarket. thanks.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Soon2bSpooled
3. when trying to accelerate, if i push harder in the gas and go up to 3000ish rpm, i can hear one "pop" backfiring noise until i let off a little but its not as bad as it was open header. i figure this is because of the amount of fuel in the exhaust from running so rich?
anyone have any ideas?