Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Used Whipple....

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Used Whipple....

I have the chance to get a used whipple from a customer of mine in about 2 weeks. I will put his truck back to stock and get a deal on his blower for the labour. He is selling the truck, his is a 2000 suburban 5.3 and mine a 2000 silverado 5.3 and I assume this is a direct swap.
If this deal goes thru I will post later for any uninstall/reinstall tips you folks
may have.
My question now is one the fmu or computer, has whipple updated that for units that were installed in 2001 and is there any reason to get an update if there is one? I don't think they are cheap.

Hope I get it, I've been wanting one of those things for a long time.
Old 01-09-2004, 09:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Allgonoshow
I have the chance to get a used whipple from a customer of mine in about 2 weeks. I will put his truck back to stock and get a deal on his blower for the labour. He is selling the truck, his is a 2000 suburban 5.3 and mine a 2000 silverado 5.3 and I assume this is a direct swap.
If this deal goes thru I will post later for any uninstall/reinstall tips you folks
may have.
My question now is one the fmu or computer, has whipple updated that for units that were installed in 2001 and is there any reason to get an update if there is one? I don't think they are cheap.

Hope I get it, I've been wanting one of those things for a long time.
It should be a direct swap.

My question now is one the fmu or computer
Not sure what your asking here. Maybe it's just my day to not be able to read.
Old 01-09-2004, 09:51 AM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll answer your question. Yes, Whipple is constantly updating their computers program. Yes, it is expensive. No, it is not necessary. No, I wouldn't spend the money for the update.

From what I remember, Whipple wanted $600-$800 to update the system I had. It may even be more if they try and sell you updated hardware. One think I know about those guys, nothings free.

I think their solution for adding fuel is a poor choice. They add the two extra injectors to the intake, and use their computer to estimate when and how much fuel to add. Most other supercharger kits do a much better job by shipping out new larger fuel injectors and a custom PCM tune for the truck. Several of us here have removed the whipple computer, added larger injectors, and ran custom tuning with good results.

I say buy the kit for a good price, and run the stock system. If / when you want more from it, go with injectors and a custom PCM tune. You'll have better results than the Whipple computer will give and probably be cheaper too.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:00 AM
On The Tree

Try to give them a call and see what they say. There have been numerous updates and are you getting the two belt setup or single?

I have the double and the single is better because it doesn't use their piggybacked crank pulley; just the stock one. Also earlier ones, you had to drill the exhaust pipe for EGR sensors. The newer ones tap in through the o2 sensorl. The newer ones also use an electric bypass which works through the Whipple cpu. If you try to disconnect the Whipple harness to run your own tuning the bypass will automatically close limiting boost. The older one is a mechanical one.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-11-2004, 07:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Thanx for the info

Originally Posted by BigTex
I'll answer your question. Yes, Whipple is constantly updating their computers program. Yes, it is expensive. No, it is not necessary. No, I wouldn't spend the money for the update.

From what I remember, Whipple wanted $600-$800 to update the system I had. It may even be more if they try and sell you updated hardware. One think I know about those guys, nothings free.

I think their solution for adding fuel is a poor choice. They add the two extra injectors to the intake, and use their computer to estimate when and how much fuel to add. Most other supercharger kits do a much better job by shipping out new larger fuel injectors and a custom PCM tune for the truck. Several of us here have removed the whipple computer, added larger injectors, and ran custom tuning with good results.

I say buy the kit for a good price, and run the stock system. If / when you want more from it, go with injectors and a custom PCM tune. You'll have better results than the Whipple computer will give and probably be cheaper too.

I contacted wester's garage for their opinion on injectors and whipple fmu.
they said install 8.1 injectors, forget about the whipple fmu/injectors, and leave the rest to them. I beleive what they
do is program me a new computer and send it to me. There is no one in my are that can do a dyno tune so this sounds good to me

David
Old 01-14-2004, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Older style whipple.

Originally Posted by 00z71sierra
Try to give them a call and see what they say. There have been numerous updates and are you getting the two belt setup or single?

I have the double and the single is better because it doesn't use their piggybacked crank pulley; just the stock one. Also earlier ones, you had to drill the exhaust pipe for EGR sensors. The newer ones tap in through the o2 sensorl. The newer ones also use an electric bypass which works through the Whipple cpu. If you try to disconnect the Whipple harness to run your own tuning the bypass will automatically close limiting boost. The older one is a mechanical one.

Hope this helps.
The kit I am buying has a 2 belt setup so it must be the older one with a mechanical bypass, I assume that would be preferable to electronic if I am going to do a custom tune rather than using the whipple FMU.
Anyone know if there are any issues with the mechanical bypass and a custom tune?

David
Old 01-14-2004, 01:32 PM
On The Tree

I had a Westers custom tune with the Whipple and still had KR. They told me that their PCM would take care of it. After 3 PCM it still did not however it did make better performance. I agree though that Westers has the best guarantee. They are giving me my money back after I have patiently tried their PCMs. I would recommend them to anyone but more than likely will be better for non supercharged applications.