Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Using old truck MAP sensor on new TBSS intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 07:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using old truck MAP sensor on new TBSS intake

I got my new TBSS intake on today without any real drama. When it came time to reinstall my Map sensor from the old intake, I noticed that the diameter of the opening on the new intake is larger than the male part of the sensor. There's a ton of TBSS intake threads, but most don't really adress this. I came up with a simple solution that hopefully will help someone else out if they encounter this in the future.

I kick myself for not taking pictures of all the pieces before I assembled it all, but it's super straight forward. Here's what I did:

-got a 1 1/4" rubber grommet from the hardware store with nipple on it with a 3/8"OD and about a 5/16" hole in the center. I notched the sides to clear the MAP sensor mounting tabs.
-Dabbed the base of the grommet with a little blue RTV and popped it into the manifold opening.
-Dabbed the base of the MAP sensor nipple with a little RTV in put that into the grommet.
- Fabbed up a little "Z-bend" bracket out of 1/8" x 1" flat stock and drilled a hole in one end.
-Placed the bracket over the top of the MAP sensor then placed a bolt through the hole and tightened it to the manifold. This compressed the MAP sensor into the grommet and the intake and is held there securely.
Attached Thumbnails Using old truck MAP sensor on new TBSS intake-photo.jpg   Using old truck MAP sensor on new TBSS intake-photo2.jpg  
Old 01-03-2012, 07:38 PM
Staging Lane

What yr is ur truck an what yr is the intake the different yrs might hav different MAP sensors
Old 01-03-2012, 08:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine was a direct swap. The intake I used was from was a 08 Silverado 5.3L.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lilaaron233333
What yr is ur truck an what yr is the intake the different yrs might hav different MAP sensors
My truck is an '05 with a 5.3. I bought the TBSS intake off of ebay. It came with the TB, fuel rails, injectors, bolts, gaskets all brand new. I'm guessing it is for a very late model TBSS or maybe one of the NNBS trucks, but I don't know the actual date and was unaware of the differences in the TBSS intakes.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Maybe the TBSS uses a different map sensor..i used an 08 intake and my map was a direct fit.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by AJII
Maybe the TBSS uses a different map sensor..i used an 08 intake and my map was a direct fit.
It's weird. Just about none of the threads I researched mentioned the potential for the size difference in MAP sensors. My hope was to draw attention to this possibility and hopefully save someone the headache. I just wish i new specifically which year and model the intake is actually for.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:05 PM
TECH Regular

Autozone's website shows the same part number for the TBSS and NNBS MAP sensor. I'm probably putting my TBSS intake on tomorrow or Friday so I'll let you know if my sensor is a direct fit or not. Did your sensor still have the orange grommet on it that it comes with from the factory? Did your intake not come with the plastic piece that locks the MAP sensor in place or would it just not work?
Old 01-05-2012, 12:10 AM
On The Tree

My existing sensor had the orange grommet amd the intake didn't have the clip. I did some digging around and it looks like the 2010 + intakes have a new sensor. The part.number for the new sensor is AC Delco 213-3949

Here is a link to what the new ones look like:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg
Old 01-06-2012, 01:12 AM
TECH Regular

Well I pulled my intake off today and ran into the same problems as you. I'm not exactly sure what year intake mine is but here is a picture of the map sensors. Also, the plastic clip that holds the map sensor in place won't work with my cobalt ss map sensor. I'll check if it works with the factory one tomorrow but I think it is the same case as the cobalt.

Name:  9af41fac.jpg
Views: 7212
Size:  69.1 KB
Old 01-06-2012, 01:58 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The Maggie kits come with a little sleeve for the MAP sensor. The hole in the intake is the larger size of the two. If your truck has the smaller MAP sensor, you are to put a little sealant on the outside of the sleeve, push it into the manifold, then install the MAP sensor.

I wonder if those sleeves are available seperately?

Quick Reply: Using old truck MAP sensor on new TBSS intake