Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

v/ho problem ran hot

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 07:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy v/ho problem ran hot

I'f anyone can help before i take to dealer,my 2004 truck with 17k miles was running in park with a/c on and got hot. so my wife turned it off when i tried to start it the truck backfired real loud and would not start for 10 min. it run's perfect now but there's air sucking in oil cap when you open it, and the air pressure also drop's from k&n and build's back up when close oil cap .it also hard to start unless oil cap is off,i noticed a little tapping when oil cap is off. otherwise run's the same not hot or rough perfomance feel's the same. thank's for any commet's
Old 09-18-2004, 07:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm not sure what your trying to say, but it sounds like there's some real problems going on there.

Is the truck stock?
Old 09-18-2004, 08:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Flyer
I'm not sure what your trying to say, but it sounds like there's some real problems going on there.

Is the truck stock?
I trying to see if someone might know if it might be warped head,cracked head,cracked block or maybe i blown somekind of vacum line. i forgot to mention that the programmer pulled up a trouble code that said camshaft sensor, and my pulley made it run hot. basic bolt on's
Old 09-18-2004, 08:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

How bad did it overheat?

If it overheated bad ... it could have warped a head or blown a head gasket. Maybe you should take that pulley off and put the stock one back on and take it in for service.
Old 09-18-2004, 09:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

you have a vacuum leak to crankcase somewhere also, which could be a blown headgasket. cracked cyl wall, warped head etc, sounds like theres a real serious problem there. one reason why im not a big fan of pulleys,
Old 09-18-2004, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine threw a camshaft sensor code, but when it did that it wouldnt run, it would start and then die. I was just that a wire had got melted that was connected to the sensor.
Old 09-18-2004, 10:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 6.0 badd ***
I'f anyone can help before i take to dealer,my 2004 truck with 17k miles was running in park with a/c on and got hot. so my wife turned it off when i tried to start it the truck backfired real loud and would not start for 10 min. it run's perfect now but there's air sucking in oil cap when you open it, and the air pressure also drop's from k&n and build's back up when close oil cap .it also hard to start unless oil cap is off,i noticed a little tapping when oil cap is off. otherwise run's the same not hot or rough perfomance feel's the same. thank's for any commet's
Thats why I took my ASP off. My engine temps would climb so fast and so high unless I was moving. Just underdrives the water pump a bit more than it should. Some people have used the pulley without a hitch. I ran into problems with it. $200 bucks well spent I guess.
Old 09-18-2004, 10:27 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The air sucking through the oil cap is normal. These engines use a sealed PCV system that draws air in after the MAF down through the valve covers/heads and into the crankcase. It's then drawn up through the PCV valve and into the intake manifold. If you take off the oil cap, dipstick tube, or fresh air vent hose that hooks to the top of the TB there will be a vacuum on it at idle, quite a bit actually.

The tapping sound you hear with the oil cap off could just be extra valvetrain noise that is normally muffled from the oil cap.

Originally Posted by 6.0 badd ***
and the air pressure also drop's from k&n and build's back up when close oil cap
What do you mean about the pressure drop from k&n and builds back up when you close the oil cap?

Definately put the stock pulley back on if you take it in to get checked out. Maybe the smaller pulley slows the water pump down too much and caused it to get hot sitting idling with the A/C on in hot weather.
Old 09-19-2004, 04:56 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by XLR8NSS
The air sucking through the oil cap is normal. These engines use a sealed PCV system that draws air in after the MAF down through the valve covers/heads and into the crankcase. It's then drawn up through the PCV valve and into the intake manifold. If you take off the oil cap, dipstick tube, or fresh air vent hose that hooks to the top of the TB there will be a vacuum on it at idle, quite a bit actually.

The tapping sound you hear with the oil cap off could just be extra valvetrain noise that is normally muffled from the oil cap.

What do you mean about the pressure drop from k&n and builds back up when you close the oil cap?

Definately put the stock pulley back on if you take it in to get checked out. Maybe the smaller pulley slows the water pump down too much and caused it to get hot sitting idling with the A/C on in hot weather.
my cousin came over with his v/ho and it dont suck air like my truck,and i never had noise before that loud.I should'nt have to take the oil cap off for the truck to start, i think it releases pressure and let's it start. thank's for the advice hopefully when i wake up tomorrow it will fix it's self
Old 09-19-2004, 07:40 AM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

with an underdrive pulley and it sitting and idling for extended periods of time it will get warm at idle. the tranny will really get hot causing other things to get warm. do you have some tools?. pull the plugs and see if there is build up on them. also do a quick compression test while they are out. that will tell you a lot. good luck.

Quick Reply: v/ho problem ran hot