Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

V6 to V8 swap for '86 C10

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 11:53 AM
formerly 1BADC10 (12/14/2011)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Matt... I was hoping to have the truck driveable by March 1. That certainly seems within you're two month offer. I'm still entertaining the thought of wiring myself. I talked with Allen about his harness, and from what he's stated, his is a bare, basic 4-bang hookup into the OEM '86 fuse block. If that's the route I can go with this factory NBS harness (stripped down, of course), that may be what I end up doing.

I've already gotta re-solder the MPS connector. I realized we accidently pulled the three wires out while attempting the first mock-up. Wish I had a service manual for the '86 & '02 Silverados. All harness diagrams, PCM pinouts, and fuse block pinouts for both trucks could benefit me BIG TIME! Wiring would be a snap with those! PCM pinouts are easy to find on forums. Is there such a schematic for the fuse block?
Old 01-03-2006, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by beertestr
Mine
beer... it just freakin' dawned on me... I hope you didn't drill those brackets yet. Did you say with the way they were mounted, you have trouble with the engine sitting too close to the firewall? If so, why not take each bracket off, put them on opposite sides, and make it to where the pointed end was upward, but pointing to the firewall. This way , I'm assuming you could save yourself the hassle of drilling, and just swap which side each mount is bolted on. That would ultimately move your motor mount bracket farther backward giving you the clearance you need... If this is the case.

Holla back!

-Ron
Old 01-03-2006, 04:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by white1
Ron, I have a few fan harnesses at the house if you can wait a month or two Looks good though. I'm interested in knowing what problems you encounter with the wiring. Im interested in dropping my motor into my 76 and building a um just another for my white truck.
Sorry to jump on a post for Ron, but I hope to get the wiring figured out by the end of this weekend. Once I figure out my wiring, I probably will be making up an adaptor harness for TBI trucks, your truck would be even easier to come up with a power distribution panel, and leads for electric guages, should you want to go with one. The key focus will be to use OEM connectors, and OEM relays so you can go to any dealer/autoparts store and fix your truck...

This is my 4th custom wiring EFI setup, one Ford EEC-IV setup, one TBI setup (totally Cake), one 93 Lt1 harness repin to a 94-95 Controller in an 87 Porsche 944 (lots of crimping). I have most of the Delphi Packard crimping tools, and have only electrocuted myself once or twice with no injury.... oh, and I have only electrocuted myself once or twice with no injury...... besides that, I have been pretty successful, except for electrocuting myself once or twice with no injury. No short term memory loss either!

Seems like it would be nice to have a one-stop shopping place for Gen-III swaps.

Are you planning on using ETC or a cable throttle?
Old 01-03-2006, 06:27 PM

Sorry to jump on a post for Ron, but I hope to get the wiring figured out by the end of this weekend. Once I figure out my wiring, I probably will be making up an adaptor harness for TBI trucks, your truck would be even easier to come up with a power distribution panel, and leads for electric guages, should you want to go with one. The key focus will be to use OEM connectors, and OEM relays so you can go to any dealer/autoparts store and fix your truck...
Yeah... think I'll try this graff'n thing myself. Not so difficult.

Seems like it would be nice to have a one-stop shopping place for Gen-III swaps.

Just installed the '02 throttle cable on my '86 about an hour ago. The hole on the firewall is slightly smaller than the '02s, but with a little work, I worked the hole enuff to be able to snap the throttle cable in. Then, I had to work the accelerator itself. The new cable had about 3/4" of play in it. I bent the accelerator rod enuff to eliminate that. Went about another 1/4", thus lifting the pedal upward to clear the floor at WOT. With my setup, there was some sort of switch connected to the pedal restricting my modified motion. That switch was the trans control switch. I'm not an ASE-certified tech, but that is no longer installed on my pedal assembly. I'll put it in this box I have labeled as "good" parts.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:40 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If I go this route, Ill use the cable throttle.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by white1
If I go this route, Ill use the cable throttle.
Yeah, cable seems to be the easier route, can you get into the cal, and get a pre-2004 controller work with E-fans, or do you just wire the E-fans to a thermal switch?
Old 01-03-2006, 10:50 PM

beer...

Did you try the bracket suggestion? Or am I too late?
Old 01-03-2006, 11:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ZRO26T
beer...

Did you try the bracket suggestion? Or am I too late?
Not yet, yesterday consisted of making pancakes in the morning, turning to open the fridge, and massive sharp pain shooting through my back between my shoulder blades... one of those ones that has you catching your breath when is hits... spent the bulk of the day on the couch with an ice pad and then heat.... wtf, 31 and I'm falling apart. I did get to spend some time looking through the schematics though!!

Today was back to work and then baby classes with my wife, seems she swallowed a football or something.. Should get out tomorrow, and I am going to mod the plates I already have with the new holes, I'll get a pic and some measurements to compare trans location with a SBC/4L60E combo...

Did you get my PM on the bimetal fan?

OK, time for sleepies, it sucks trying to get back on a regular sleep schedule after 2 weeks vacation.. 4:30 is gonna come fast..
Old 01-04-2006, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ron,
If you are playing with this tonight give me a call, I wanna play with it too
Old 01-04-2006, 11:53 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, cable seems to be the easier route, can you get into the cal, and get a pre-2004 controller work with E-fans, or do you just wire the E-fans to a thermal switch?

I can get into the PCM, or use a thermo switch, but I truct the PCM more.

Quick Reply: V6 to V8 swap for '86 C10