Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

v6 to v8 swap troubleshoot

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2019, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default v6 to v8 swap troubleshoot

What's up everybody,

Trying to see if I could get a little help with my current situation. My trucks a 2009 Chevy Silverado 1500, swapped in a 2008 gen IV 5.3 from a Yukon. The motor was built from scratch, bored out to a 5.7, new larger rods/rings, has a stage 3 TSP cam kit, DOD delete kit, plenty of brand new parts, stock injectors, stock 4L60E trans, brand new starter, sensors, hoses, etc. The original shop doing the swap did a BS job, had the truck for 5 months, didn't finish the job and just couldn't get it running. In the end, I got left with his mess and I've been trying to figure out how to get the truck running ever since. The truck cranks and starts but shuts off after a few seconds and I don't know why, do have a video of the startups and shutting off but unfortunately can't include into the post.

Figured it must be VATS preventing it from running as it also has the security light on and is throwing code P0513. Tried security relearn, didnt work. Had my ECM checked, VATS was already disabled on there. Was told it might be because the shop left my v6 fuse box and fuel pump in even though he told me himself that he replaced them for ones off a v8. Possibly fuel system issue? So I'm coming to you all in hopes of getting any insights on what I might be missing, what else I should look in to, or anything of that sort because I've spoken to multiple different shops and am hearing a bunch of different things. Still hoping to find a shop that can take it in and finish the job but I'm just trying to get a general idea of what the issue might be at hand. (In the photos, the wire harness is a mess because I removed it and had somebody open the wire harness to check all the connections, found a few cut wires but got them fixed. So when I got the harness back we threw it on real quick just to test it out)

Old 10-11-2019, 11:48 PM
makes children cry

Received 440 Likes on 361 Posts

yeah, probably have to disable VATS... especially if using a different computer.
i remember having to also do a crank relearn with a TechII after my swap.
at least on the NBS, the v6 fuel pump was the same, so hopefully that ain't an issue.
Old 10-12-2019, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by _zebra
yeah, probably have to disable VATS... especially if using a different computer.
i remember having to also do a crank relearn with a TechII after my swap.
at least on the NBS, the v6 fuel pump was the same, so hopefully that ain't an issue.
So my v6 fuel pump should be okay right? Yeah thats the problem, VATS is already disabled on the computer so it doesnt make sense to me. I was told my wire harness needs a fuel pump control module, and my truck doesn't have one so fuel pump has to get rewired and powered some other way, I think that's where my issue is. I've spent hours researching and researching and a lot of swaps run into the same issue and same codes as I am. Most cases of the whole crank but shuts off/wont start issue lead to the fuel system so hopefully I'm headed in the right direction. Post was just to get outside opinions on everything.
Old 10-12-2019, 12:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 565 Likes on 487 Posts

Was VATS disabled with a "write entire" though, that is a question I'd have. It requires a full write to make it work.

Post the tune and a log of it starting if you want.
Old 10-12-2019, 11:34 AM

right, thats actually something i heard before too where VATS isn't always "completely" disabled. Ill definitely get that checked out and ill see as well if i could get the tune posted.
Old 04-07-2022, 04:06 PM
Teching In

Default Same problem

Did anyone figure this out?
Old 10-13-2022, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Nickie Montealegre Prado
right, thats actually something i heard before too where VATS isn't always "completely" disabled. Ill definitely get that checked out and ill see as well if i could get the tune posted.
did you ever figure this out? Going through the same thing. Thanks