Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Vacuum Actuated Cutout anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 04:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 199 Likes on 156 Posts

Nobody likes my recipe?
Old 01-03-2009, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
Nobody likes my recipe?
it would close after the cutout opened due to the loss of pressure.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Even if you had a 2 psi spring?
Old 01-03-2009, 05:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Even if you had a 2 psi spring?
nevermind i now see that you have a wot switch. if you are willing to use a wot switch then you can use a electric cutout. the original post stated he didn't want to use any wiring.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Oh, yeah. Even short wires are still wires. I was trying to think of some way to keep it from activating always, and a throttle switch is all I could come up with. I came up with the idea when I was considering electric cutouts, as a way to automatically control the cutout. None of the electric ones use end switches in the motor, which would shut off the motor when it reaches either end of its travel. That's what prevents electrics from being operated with a throttle switch.
Plus from what I've read, a vacuum canister would be much more reliable than a motor.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh, yeah. Even short wires are still wires. I was trying to think of some way to keep it from activating always, and a throttle switch is all I could come up with. I came up with the idea when I was considering electric cutouts, as a way to automatically control the cutout. None of the electric ones use end switches in the motor, which would shut off the motor when it reaches either end of its travel. That's what prevents electrics from being operated with a throttle switch.
Plus from what I've read, a vacuum canister would be much more reliable than a motor.
WOT switch and timer relays. Is what I am planning with my electric cutouts.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:52 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by KySilverado
WOT switch and timer relays. Is what I am planning with my electric cutouts.
Timer relays? So that after a WOT run they stay on for a certain amount of time?

Is a timer relay just a relay that has a time delay?
Old 01-03-2009, 08:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by A Low Dime
Timer relays? So that after a WOT run they stay on for a certain amount of time?

Is a timer relay just a relay that has a time delay?
For the track mostly. But could be used anytime and keyed off my nitrous WOT switch.

Yes timer relays use a trigger, then are on for an adjustable amount of time. Needed for my cutouts. Go WOT which kicks the relay for about 2 seconds to open the cutouts. Haven't quite figured out how to close them based upon the throttle.

Last edited by KySilverado; 01-03-2009 at 08:46 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by KySilverado
For the track mostly. But could be used anytime and keyed off my nitrous WOT switch.

Yes timer relays use a trigger, then are on for an adjustable amount of time. Needed for my cutouts. Go WOT which kicks the relay for about 2 seconds to open the cutouts. Haven't quite figured out how to close them based upon the throttle.
why would you need a timer relay if your gonna run it off of your nitrous switch? the switch will kick it on when you want and then when the switch turns off the cutout would close. you would still need a relay to give it the proper voltage though. correct me if im wrong.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by RED04REGENCYRST
why would you need a timer relay if your gonna run it off of your nitrous switch? the switch will kick it on when you want and then when the switch turns off the cutout would close. you would still need a relay to give it the proper voltage though. correct me if im wrong.
That's not how the cutout motors work. They work like your windows rolling up and down. They use a rocker switch. You have to hold the button in the open position until the cutout is all the way open and same thing for closing it.

Quick Reply: Vacuum Actuated Cutout anyone?