Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Valvetrain noise after cam swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2020, 05:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The engine has been maintained by me, I'm very meticulous and do not trust anyone else to do any work including oil changes. Ï soaked the lifters in mobil1 5w-30 for 24 hours, then let them drain upright for another 24 hours before installing. The manufacturer wants me to ship them back for another set or a replacement. This will be the second set I'm sending back. First set had metal shavings that I cleaned out upon inspection, they were from another company. Can anybody recommend a quality part? Not to mention the cost of another set of gaskets and bolts...
Old 05-07-2020, 05:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I have heard nothing but good things about Johnson lifters. GM even put the Johnson 2110 in the COPO Camaro. They tested various lifters and if those, the Johnson 2110 was the only one that had no failures. Which is why they chose to run them. If they're good enough for the engineers at Chevy Performance, they're good enough for me. I'll try to dig up a link.

Found it
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...0-lifters.html
Old 05-07-2020, 07:00 PM
Teching In

I'm sure those are great quality, but the cost is a bit steep for the application. 190k miles on a 5.3 with a slightly higher lift cam.
Old 05-07-2020, 08:03 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeebalow
Interesting, I hadn't seen anyone mention this. What's the proper way to clean off cosmiline? Do you disassemble the lifters and spray everything with brake cleaner then reassemble? I am putting an engine together and using Johnson 2110 lifters and want to make sure they don't have any issues. I also had a ticking noise with my "LS7" lifters in my current engine.
I clean my new ones Right out of the box. The cosmiline is typically on the outside and sticks in the rollers. I make sure everything Is free first before lubricating them.

I then soak each one in a can of new oil and use an old factory pushrod to pump the lifter up. It will press out the Air and fill the lifter with oil. It's time consuming and a pain but it has worked for me.
Old 05-07-2020, 08:18 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Originally Posted by Truck2007
The engine has been maintained by me, I'm very meticulous and do not trust anyone else to do any work including oil changes. Ï soaked the lifters in mobil1 5w-30 for 24 hours, then let them drain upright for another 24 hours before installing. The manufacturer wants me to ship them back for another set or a replacement. This will be the second set I'm sending back. First set had metal shavings that I cleaned out upon inspection, they were from another company. Can anybody recommend a quality part? Not to mention the cost of another set of gaskets and bolts...
Despite the cost recently, I have only used the Factory GM Lifters in minor builds.

Also, Soaking them for hours or days alone does absolutely nothing for them. You have to pump the plunger up and down while soaking them to bleed the air out. Otherwise the oil will never enter the body...

I also like to rotate the roller too just to make sure it's still free after being in oil.
Old 05-07-2020, 08:19 PM
Teching In

Ï did not try to pump up the lifters while soaking in oil. Side note: I just compared the suspected weak lifter to the lifter next to it. Ï can use the pushrod to compress the suspected bad one about .030", the adjacent lifter will only push about .005" to .010". At this point I would not suspect a collapsed lifter, if a collapsed lifter means that it is in the bottom of it's bore and cannot extend.
Old 05-07-2020, 09:12 PM
Teching In

Ï thought that, in my many hours of researching, soaking was not advised for these lifters. I'm not saying your wrong but there is a lot of bad info out there.
Old 05-07-2020, 10:08 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Ï thought that, in my many hours of researching, soaking was not advised for these lifters. I'm not saying your wrong but there is a lot of bad info out there.
There is alot of people that say that.

In my endeavors, after soaking some of these lifters for a day. I decided to push on it to see if was pumped up. I noticed it kept pushing air out every time I depressed the cup. That told me the lifter is not capable of filling on its own just sitting there.

That being said, As soon as you put the valve train together and cycle the engine you will bleed that oil back out of a pumped up lifter.

For me its peace of mind knowing it will function correctly. IMO it also adds some lubricity to where the disc will be cycling up and down.

If there is a problem, I would rather find it before I put it in the motor Vs. after.

Old 05-12-2020, 05:34 PM
Teching In

Ï pulled the lifters out and found that one lifter must have been holding air in its bore. The supplier wanted me to send the set back in for a replacement set of Morels whick i agreed to.Ï did not disassemble it to confirm my suspicion because I wanted the supplier to see it.
Old 05-12-2020, 08:03 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Ï pulled the lifters out and found that one lifter must have been holding air in its bore. The supplier wanted me to send the set back in for a replacement set of Morels whick i agreed to.Ï did not disassemble it to confirm my suspicion because I wanted the supplier to see it.
Interesting.... I wonder what they will say if anything about it when they get them back.

Quick Reply: Valvetrain noise after cam swap