Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

VaraRam Tri-Power Intake Installation - Pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking VaraRam Tri-Power Intake Installation - Pics

Well, long story short I hooked up with Patrick over at VR while looking at a friend's truck over at the VR shop. Before I knew it Patrick was taking measurements for the scoops to go on my truck. For right now, the air scoops are temporary for mockup/measurement purposes. He's working on the production mold that will be a perfect fit in the truck. Install was pretty simple, and the kit makes a huge difference.

The front clip popped out so easy. Took out my K&N and prepped the VR Tri-Power airbox.

You can see the scoop mounted just behind the slits in the bumper in this pic.

These are the two metal tabs off the bumper that the scoops mount to. Pretty simple to attach, just two little bolts and nuts.

This pic shows the left scoop with the 5" air hose hooked up to it and mounted. By removing the rubber air dam flap that goes around the bottom of the radiator, it allows you to go straight back under the radiator with these hoses and straight up to the air box.

This is the rubber air dam flappy thingy that I was talking about. Just yank it out, you don't need it. Also, the tubing starts out as 5" ID, you just squash down both sides with your hands to make it an oval.

This pic shows how the MAF comes right off the TB and goes straight into the air box.

This one shows the clearance between the e-fans and the air box. I'd say it's a good 3" or so?

This gives you an idea of how much clearance there is between the accessories and the air box. No close calls at all with this kit. Everything has plenty of room to move. Also note that in my application since I have the HD type hood (06 classic 1500) I flipped the air box upside down to give everything a little extra clearance.

Here's a pic of the passenger side tubing, it clears all radiator hoses and after a long drive all the tubing and the airbox were ice cold from the ram air cooling it.

This is the kit after complete installation. You can see how the air box is flipped upside down easier in this pic. Patrick estimates that flipping the airbox will bring extra velocity and cooler air into the plenum.

I'm going to get some good logs with HPT tomorrow so we can really see how much more airflow I can get now. The cool thing about this kit is it's really durable high heat resistant plastic. Nothing is gonna break any time soon *knock on wood* haha. I'll have some more pics soon, but I can already feel a huge difference over my K&N. I can't wait til I get my trans done over spring break so I can actually get to the track and get some new times

If any of yall need any info on the VaraRam systems just PM me. I'm unsure if they're a sponsor over here yet so I won't post any links to their site.

BTW, this is what happens when you sharpen your knife and forget how sharp it is when you cut through a box. I did this yesterday morning right before I was supposed to leave for the Houston Fishing Show. The cut was so clean that it didn't bleed at all, and it went all the way to the bone barely missing my tendon. Got it stitched up and still made it up to our booth at the fishing show
Old 03-09-2008, 09:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So this is a mock up or is this out?
Old 03-09-2008, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

The only "mockup" pieces are the scoops attached to my bumper. The rest is being manufactured as we speak. As far as I know currently they're only offering support for 06-08 chevy/gmc's on this kit.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:37 PM
FormerVendor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I dont like the looks of it. Hopefully it is more durable than some of VR's products in the past!

So you can feel an increase in power?

Keep us informed.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Derek @ EDO
I dont like the looks of it. Hopefully it is more durable than some of VR's products in the past!

So you can feel an increase in power?

Keep us informed.
You don't like the cosmetics? I've never heard of their products failing so I gave it a shot. Jay installs a lot of VR systems over at GForce and vouched for their quality when I had asked about them.

From a dead stop it's not any different than my K&N because it's virtually acting the same way. Once you gain velocity it's a big difference over the K&N. I don't have any accurate 0-60 times since I don't have second gear right now lol. I can tell that my first gear pulls are quicker, but more noticably I have a lot more power in 3rd because of the amount of air entering the motor. I'm sure 2nd gear would feel great, but until I build the trans I won't feel it haha. I'll run through the logs and figure out how many hz it's reading out. I do have logs from before and after to compare

Last edited by jakebdb56; 03-09-2008 at 11:01 PM.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have my doubts, but I've already been proven to on a few notes.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:29 AM
Formerly Low_LQ4 - 6/6/10

I like the idea but I don't like the way it covers the E/fans.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:42 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

heatsoak city..... any logs if IAT's with that bigass hunk of plastic right behind the fans pulling radiator heat??
Old 03-10-2008, 09:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had the origianl set-up that vara ram came out with for our trucks and it sucked, it wasn't very good quality and I wouldn't buy anything else from them. IMO

It felt like it was holding my truck back...especially down low, almost like it had traction control or something cutting the fuel(but it didn't)

hopefully your will be better.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
heatsoak city..... any logs if IAT's with that bigass hunk of plastic right behind the fans pulling radiator heat??
IAT's are only 3-4* above outside temp just like my last setup. If I sit at idle for a long time (like 10 min) they'll go maybe 10* over outside temp. The box really doesn't "cover" the fans. I can't get a good photo of a side shot showing how far down the box goes, but it doesn't get much in the way of the e-fans blowing air.

Originally Posted by joshua022
I had the origianl set-up that vara ram came out with for our trucks and it sucked, it wasn't very good quality and I wouldn't buy anything else from them. IMO

It felt like it was holding my truck back...especially down low, almost like it had traction control or something cutting the fuel(but it didn't)

hopefully your will be better.
The VR6 unit is the one I think you're talking about? It goes over the top of the radiator or something? That one I would agree sucks. Having the air ducts with this kit directs the air only into the air box. The box is pretty hardcore plastic. I had a few pieces of scrap from his shop that I tried punching through with a screwdriver and it wouldn't go through unless I like Judo-chopped it haha.

I didn't really get any good log info today because the weather has been absolutely shitty. It does accelerate a lot smoother than before. Passing someone takes less throttle than before too. Hopefully the weather is better tomorrow so I can get some good logs with HPT.

Quick Reply: VaraRam Tri-Power Intake Installation - Pics