Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

volant ram air w/ AEM bypass valve-PIX-

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 08:19 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default volant ram air w/ AEM bypass valve-PIX-

well i got in my volant ram air today, which i was gonna make a custom aluminum ram air but i dont have the time. ive had this 3" AEM bypass valve lying around so i decided to try and utilize it. i know theres been discussion about blocking off the inside of volant box where air comes through fender wall, but is that really nessisary? i know it would help on highway but what bout city?

Old 09-30-2008, 11:00 PM
Launching!

Default Not happy with fitment.... pics

volant makes great CAI but the ram air fitment is horrible! i would been better off making my own!

no power gains that ive noticed on highway but seems to feel smoother or maybe i just want to think it feels smoother cause i wasted 120 bucks on plastic the tube sticks into the wheel splash gaurd and tire rubs when turning now the scoop doesnt really line up with tow hook opening!

Old 09-30-2008, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

thats why i made my own! lol i used some dryer duct and a custom scoop made by a member along time ago...i really like it...be prepared for alotta weird **** to get into ur air box! i put a little screen at the bottom of the scoop...only been there for like 2 weeks and i went and looked at it today while washin my truck...found an cig butt, grass clipings and some bugs...i want to see about getting a pre filter for the air cleaner...

as far as gains...the biggest is IATs...def. cools down quickly...so seeing ur gonna put a radix on it that will be a big help...my gauges show like like in a 1/8th my IATs will drop 10* after sitting for a while...im really happy with it...

kinda see some it in some of the pics...ill take some tomorrow

Old 09-30-2008, 11:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JakeBrakeIH
thats why i made my own! lol i used some dryer duct and a custom scoop made by a member along time ago...i really like it...be prepared for alotta weird **** to get into ur air box! i put a little screen at the bottom of the scoop...only been there for like 2 weeks and i went and looked at it today while washin my truck...found an cig butt, grass clipings and some bugs...i want to see about getting a pre filter for the air cleaner...

as far as gains...the biggest is IATs...def. cools down quickly...so seeing ur gonna put a radix on it that will be a big help...my gauges show like like in a 1/8th my IATs will drop 10* after sitting for a while...im really happy with it...

kinda see some it in some of the pics...ill take some tomorrow

im gonna make my own but use the tubing from volant, cut the scoop off, and a connector adaptor to go to center air dam and make it out of aluminum. i knew i was gonna have issues with it
Old 09-30-2008, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

also in regards to ur question about blocking the inside of the box off...i used duct tape and after like a 10 minute ride down the highway i pulled over and took the cover off and it blew right through the tape...and i made sure i put alot on! so i guess there is some sort of positive pressure!
Old 10-01-2008, 10:10 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nemmarick
volant makes great CAI but the ram air fitment is horrible! i would been better off making my own!
Mine fit perfectly...could it be that the AEM bypass valve is messing up the fitment?
Old 10-01-2008, 07:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Mine fit perfectly...could it be that the AEM bypass valve is messing up the fitment?
i fit it before doing the bypass valve and was horrible and the scoop for it didnt even fit around the tow hook opening, the tow hook bolt hole didnt line up, and it pushes the inner splash gaurd toward the wheel so that rubs. after all that i said F'iT and made some adjustments and put on the bypass
Old 10-01-2008, 09:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Mine also fit perfectly. Might want to give Volant a call, they may have sent you the wrong model.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

have any of you seen any actual gains from the tube ??? i think its a bunch of crap, had it on mine cuz it came with the truck when i bought it...... took off the whole intake system, and traded it for some stock 17s.... put on the stock tube and paper filter and i ran the same time. weather was about the same.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:20 PM
TECH Resident

How about the vararam intakes aren't those a ram air type set up???

Quick Reply: volant ram air w/ AEM bypass valve-PIX-