Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Volant's owner's response on the loss of hp

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 02:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am glad to see Volant trying to do right by their customers.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:20 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Just sent another email, no reply yet from the first one. Has anyone had a reply yet?
Old 10-12-2004, 11:06 PM
On The Tree

I just sent one. I hope they respond!

I did notice a lag in performance when I added my Volant.

I hope this works or back to the K&N and stock box......
Old 10-12-2004, 11:10 PM
12 Second Club

"We can only speculate that in the Chevy High Performance test, the SS Silverado was supercharged with a Magnuson system that is calibrated to work with the stock filter box, not a high-flow air intake system like ours. In the Chevy Truck World article, we believe the computer did not have sufficient time to recalibrate so the results may have been skewed."

So....was the truck supercharged or not? How can the calibration between a cone filter and high-flow panel filter be that different?

The fact that the Volant makes little to no difference in power makes me want to sell it.....$150-200 is better than 0-5 hp.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:01 AM
Teching In

Thanks Leochevy2001 for the info I'm very impressed w/their buisness practices.At least they believe in customer service after the sale.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:50 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by O3GMC
"We can only speculate that in the Chevy High Performance test, the SS Silverado was supercharged with a Magnuson system that is calibrated to work with the stock filter box, not a high-flow air intake system like ours. In the Chevy Truck World article, we believe the computer did not have sufficient time to recalibrate so the results may have been skewed."

So....was the truck supercharged or not? How can the calibration between a cone filter and high-flow panel filter be that different?

The fact that the Volant makes little to no difference in power makes me want to sell it.....$150-200 is better than 0-5 hp.
CHP magazine tested a radix SC SS Silverado.

I don't know what kind of truck CTW magazine tested but I am sure it wasn't the same truck.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BluethunderWS6
Just sent another email, no reply yet from the first one. Has anyone had a reply yet?
No reply here either. I can only assume that they have been swamped with emails. I am sure that this whole thing really opened up a can of worms for them....and once they stated they would offer the adaptor for shipping that can of worms exploded in exponential fasion. Can you imagine how many emails and calls they are getting?
Old 10-13-2004, 03:42 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Snafudilligad
No reply here either. I can only assume that they have been swamped with emails. I am sure that this whole thing really opened up a can of worms for them....and once they stated they would offer the adaptor for shipping that can of worms exploded in exponential fasion. Can you imagine how many emails and calls they are getting?
That is true. I am not in a big hurry. I was just curious to see if anyone had rcvd a reply back.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:14 PM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

I think they are at least trying to make it right. I'm not sure about the comment about the computer having time to adjust to it tho....as Truckin' magazine Dyno'd a 5.3 with a AEM and got 13 RWHP right off the bat, just minutes after the install with no driving in between. By the way, that's what helped me decide and I love my AEM over a year down the road.
Old 10-17-2004, 07:22 PM
Teching In

I authored the article and performed the testing. The 2003 Silverado SS had a Radix supercharger. We did not expect to loose power with the Volant air box. We repeated the test and obtained the same outcome. Since we didn't have the ram air tube, we used some dryer vent. We were guessing that the head loss of the dryer vent (opposed to Volant's smooth ram air pipe) could have been the source of the problem.

I informed Tony of our test results. Tony designed a new air box for the SS that is much bigger with larger cone filter. This air box should be shipping now. I think we received the very first of the new air boxes. In Part 3, we tested the new air box and made some power over the stock air box with the K&N. We improved our ET some and gain MPH.

I commend Tony for taking a proactive approach toward his product.

I have been told that other manufacturers have seen gains with their air box with the 5.3 only to lose power with the 6.0.

Quick Reply: Volant's owner's response on the loss of hp