Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

want input for best cam 2003 4.8 silverado

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 12:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default want input for best cam 2003 4.8 silverado

ok here is what i have
2003 extended cab silverado 4x4
new rear end 3:73 gears
new transfer case
fresh built 4l60e said to hold up to 600 hp not sure but build was 1550bucks with me removing installing included new stall supposedly 400 rpms higher than stock and does have 12 month unlimited mileage warranty for racing/off-roading
brand new exhaust from manifolds to tailpipe all magnaflow including cats
all new sensors and new stock intake and intake ports cleaned and polished not ported
and electric fans this week
i have read stock ls6 swap is good but i havent messed with many ls engines
i am a mechanic so i can do all the work thus have so far since this truck has nickle and dimed me to death since i bought it 3 weeks ago and have spent a tad over 5k in trans , transfer case,rearend and exhaust,sensors etc
what i want to accomplish is a little more top end power as well as retain stock low end and would prefer more power through the whole rpm range
it is fairly strong now 1st 2nd and then at 70 when it shifts to 3rd its falls flat on its nose.
this will be an everyday driver with stock tires so i dont want and erratic cam
and i would prefer not to need to get the truck tuned i would like just to add a little power and retain drivabilty
Old 10-13-2010, 08:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

A good tune is the most important thing you could do for your truck.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:16 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree. I can't imagine getting a cam and not tuning the truck for it. In the old days you would at least change the jets in the carbuerator and adjust the timing to suit your new cam, right? These days you just tune it. Plus, its really fairly inexpensive considering the difference it will make.

As far as your original question, I can only speak from all the reading I've done as I haven't cammed a 4.8 before and I'm in the middle of my Tahoe cam install but I think what you're looking for is a Comp 212/218. I think you could even run that without a tune but it wouldn't be as good as it would with a tune.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:18 AM
Praise The Lowered

-ANY of the three in the first link , You could probably get away with no tuning on the first one...ALL mild cams with a **** ton of low end/off idle
-Second link is the 212/218 low lift LOTS of torque with improved top end/easy on valvetrain
-Third link is the 212/218 high lift...Same mid range as the low lift with better top end

-You really should consider a custom tune to optimize your setup, You will also need yellow ls6 springs with any cam above... and 7.4 hardened push rods recomended

http://speed-eng.com/store/comp-cams...l?osCsid=46fbc
http://speed-eng.com/store/comp-cam-...l?osCsid=46fbc
http://speed-eng.com/store/comp-cam-...l?osCsid=46fbc
Old 10-13-2010, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any of those cams recommended would work well and the biggest i'd personally go on a 4.8 would be a 220/220 cam and if you go that big you need to look into a decent stall. I stuck with a 220/220 for my 5.3L.

You will want to get Hardened Chromoly pushrods and new springs like stated and it may be a good idea to go ahead and get an LS2 timing chain for like $40 which is 2x stronger than your stock.

Yes I also highly recommend getting a custom tune so you can get the most out of it and so it will run and idle correctly. You could not get by without a tune on it if you get a cam on the mild side it would run like crap.

The smallest cam on the previous post Like RibeiroBJJ said you could get away with it on that one but I highly suggest at least getting a Blackbear Mail order tune and tell him in detail what all you have.

Just pay the $200 for the blackbear mail order tune its cheap. The cost at first is $300 because that includes the $100 core change fee, if you send back a pcm you will get your $100 back.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:49 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Out of all the cams i have had in my 4.8 i like the 220/220 .56x/.56x 114+4 the best
Old 10-13-2010, 05:53 PM
Praise The Lowered

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
Out of all the cams i have had in my 4.8 i like the 220/220 .56x/.56x 114+4 the best
What torque converter were you running?
Old 10-13-2010, 05:54 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Stock and my current one
Old 10-13-2010, 09:24 PM

Default maybe ill do the custom tune

ill get a custom tune i just hate to waste money i have tried 2 different programers all of which seemed to have no improvements but did decrease fuel economy drastically like almost 5mpg on the hwy at 60mph tried a hypertech and a diablo
but maybe the custom tune can do something those others couldnt
Old 10-13-2010, 10:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chevybr
ill get a custom tune i just hate to waste money i have tried 2 different programers all of which seemed to have no improvements but did decrease fuel economy drastically like almost 5mpg on the hwy at 60mph tried a hypertech and a diablo
but maybe the custom tune can do something those others couldnt
Programmers and handheld tuners are garbage. Handhelds are a cookie cutter tune that doesn't do squat. There is no comparison between handhelds and a custom tune. How do you think all these guys with full boltons, cams, turbos, super chargers get them to run so good, they use custom tunes.
Custom tunes are much much better than any handheld. An in person dyno tune would be the best route or you can get the data logging tune or auto cal from blackbear performance.

Quick Reply: want input for best cam 2003 4.8 silverado