Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Warning Flex-A-Lite E-Fans

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 09:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warning Flex-A-Lite E-Fans

Well, I will be posting up pics tonight of my now not used model #292 efans. But I will give you guys the details now. As most of you know I had been having major issues with the fans and the high engine idle problem for a while now. The FAL VSC had gone out on me twice and YadaYadaYada.

I ordered the Nelson Fan harness and commenced to install it this weekend. Got everything wired up and running, but was having an issue with the Air Conditioning not cooling, just blowing hot air. Got the issue sort of worked out, now it was just blowing cool air, but not cold. By the time I got home from a friends house, the fans had completely shut off, and trust me, they were not coming back on. I inspected all the wiring from the harness and everything was still good. So I checked the fans. The +/- wires coming from the back of the pass side fan were melted together, and a tie strap that the manufacturer had used to strap the wires to the fan frame, had cut through the wires. Figured I could just rewire them no problem. Opened the back of the fan motor and whoa. Fan was toast, crispy critter city. I decided to open the back of the other motor, wires on this one looked fine, but just curious. This motor was worse than the other. All the internals on the second one here was completely black. You couldn't even tell what it was supposed to be, all the wires, all of everything was just brittle.

I am damn lucky that this did not catch my truck on fire. So, needless to say, I am now running my clutch driven fan again and is unlikely that I will ever use electric fans ever again. I seem to be still having a problem with my air conditioning blowing cool but not cold air, although it was cooling very well this morning. I don't know whats up with that. Maybe it needed a series of start cycles to run properly or something.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:17 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the heads up. Im glad that POS didn't burn the truck.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:20 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah you got pretty lucky Curtis with my luck my truck would have been fried dog ****. Ill keep that in mind when going to elec fans.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Damn glad nothing was really damaged. Did you buy these fans brand new? Flex-a-lite will replace the motor wont they? Sell them and get some 05's or LS1's!
Old 07-05-2005, 09:40 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Man that sucks. It seems like the fans should have blown a fuse WTF? Sounds like Flex a Lite=
Old 07-05-2005, 09:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Well, I've had the fans on since late December of 04. I had been using the supplied VSC which crapped out on me twice in the last month. Never blew the fuse though. I was running the nelson harness and running fine although the A/C was not cooling, when I got home checking into this and the fans were not running. I happened to turn on my a/c to check if the fans would run and saw smoke. So I shut everything off and discovered this.

I am trying to get ahold of FAL and see what they wanna do, but I think my days with efans are over. Besides the fact that the clutch fan looks like **** with the gaudy shroud, its cooling way better than the efans ever did. Temps are running between 10-15 degrees cooler. I can't hear the fan over my exhaust anyways, and really to be honest, my truck feels a little stronger than it did with the e-fans. The voltage isn't dropping near as much, etc......

Maybe they will reimburse my money, but I doubt it. If they send me new fan motors, I will have a set of Flex-A-Lite # 292 fans for sell along with a Nelson Fan Harness. Let you guys know whats going on as I get the info.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:57 AM
TECH Regular

Maybe its time for the 05 setup! or at least LS1's!!!!
Old 07-05-2005, 10:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by OCBC
Maybe its time for the 05 setup! or at least LS1's!!!!

Nah, think I'll stick with the low tech clutch fan and spend my money elsewhere to make some HP.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:40 AM
TECH Regular

I had the same problem with my Flexalites. The VSC melted and fried both the wires going to the fans and fried both motors they wouldn't even spin. My truck got almost to 250 degrees before I noticed . The fans suck. It didn't even blow the fuse. Flexalite did cover everything under warranty but I sold them as soon as I got them. I have been running the clutch fan for about 6 months and just installed the 05 fans this past weekend.They fit really well and I would perfer to have an original GM part on my Tahoe anyway.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

To me getting a little hp is just a added bonus with e-fans. I just want my motor to not be so hot. Depending on what your plans are the stock will work fine. I wanna say that 99SilveradoSS had a motor go on his FAL's and they sent him a new one. This was after a year. I think!

Quick Reply: Warning Flex-A-Lite E-Fans