Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Warning Flex-A-Lite E-Fans

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 11:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, the extra HP is a bonus. I really liked them cause it cleaned up the engine, but to tell the truth, my engine is running much cooler with the stock fan than it was with the efans. If I need it much cooler, I may just go with a true flex fan.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:46 AM
Teching In

hey SierraCrew, thanks for the info on the fans, I was thinking of getting them for my 04 1500 crew cab, but after that I might not, but I was wondering about those flex fans. I have looked into those too but I read that they werent really meant for trucks, I read it in "Ten Trucks" they said they are meant for racing, not meant for truck use.....If we use them what would be the drawback of them. Sorry for all the questions, new to making my truck go faster
Old 07-05-2005, 12:04 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a motor burn up one time and flex-a-lite send me a new motor. Turned out it was my fault. The wires coming out of the fan motors are blue and black. I assumed the blue was positive and black was negative - wrong! Black is positive. Funny thing is that I had one wired correctly, the other was wasn't. It burned up and melted the wires just as described above.

Once I get the new motor and actually wired them up properly, it cooled much better. No problems since.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeah, I'm not saying that they are all bad, coulda just got a bad one. I didn't do the original install, had a local shop that was doing some other stuff too. But they had done quite a few of these installs so I know they knew what they were doing.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Ok, talked with a tech at FAL, and he troubleshot a little bit, but he is going to be sending me a new pair of fan motors. He did tell me that they have been having a lot of problems with this lately. He said that the black wires coming out of the fan motors are the positive and the blues are negative. I honestly cannot remember if I had them wired backwards or not, but this might be beneficial for you guys running these fans to check out just for double checks. He said if they are wired up backwards that they will still work, just against the air coming through the grill and they will run fine for about 6 months like this or until the temps get up too hot for it to be effiecient.

I will most likely still be selling these electric fans when I get the new motors in. I have to take the truck in tomorrow to the stealership to see what all got jacked up when these fan motors burnt up.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:44 PM
Teching In

I suggest you use the LS1 e-fans they last and are very effective. I beeen using some on my trucks since November of 2004 and had not had any problems. They cool my motor just perfect even with the A/C on at this Texas heats.....

2004 Chevy LS
RC/SB
LM7 5.3L
4l65E w/SHIFTKIT,SERVO
G80 w/3.73

ADD ons: LS1 electric Fans,TB bypass, TB spacer, 160* Thermostast, K&N Cold air induction, Borla ProXcess Muffler w/Turndows, NitrousWorks 150 shot, HP Tuners Tune, 295/50r16 BF GOODRICH radials.

Future Mods 6.0L, patriot 5.3L Stage 2 head and cam kit, Vigilante stall, 4.10 gears Longtubes and OFY pipe, TNT N2O set up.

AGGRESSIVE MOTORSPORTS live life at full throttle......
Old 07-08-2005, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Let me know if you want to sell that Nelson Harness.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Well, I will be selling it, I had one guy ask about it already, so I wanted to see if he was gonna get it first before I put it up for sale.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:39 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI...Bryan Herter/pcmforless offers the same harness that Allen does for $75.00 instead of the $89.00 that Nelson sells it for.

Pat
Old 07-08-2005, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Did any of you Flex a lite people get the recall paper for the fuse box. I guess they were having a lot of problems stuff getting melted and possibly catching fire. They sent me a new fuse box. Before the Fuse Box I was having trouble all the time with the VSC melting and blowing up, they replaced it all three times and were very cool.

But the point is if you have the old fuse box version, that might be the problem. Have them freaking replace it those things are not cheap.

Quick Reply: Warning Flex-A-Lite E-Fans