Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Washing dust Off ofotor and Engine Compartment?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 08:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Washing dust Off ofotor and Engine Compartment?

I have heard this was not good to do due to the knock sensors chance of getting wet and corrosion setting in.
All I want to do is lightly spray the dust that has accumilated with a light spray of water hose nozzle.The dust I get into around here will wash off this way without scrubbing.
I see there is a foam pad placed at the openings in the front and rear of the valley where the KR sensors 's reside.
What say you folks?
Old 05-16-2005, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

um i would not worry about it. the sensors would be prety hard to get wet. they are under the intake blocked by the foam you mentioned and they have rubber boots over them.

pluss me and a lot of people on here wash our motors regulary with no prob.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:59 AM
TECH Regular

I will be fine. I used too be a detailer for a chevy dealer and we did it every day with no problems. You know if it was a older Chevy with the Hei ignition we would wash the engine down while it was still running. Just to make sure it will start because we had several problems with the distributor getting wet and causing the cars and trucks not to start. I still leave my 01 Tahoe running when I wash the engine down. I guess it's kinda a habit.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Have no worries I do it all the time when I go to the carwash. I just spray over the engine bay with the pressure gun and leaves it pretty clean. Then I go over it with a dry cloth to clean the accsess dust. I spray ArmorAll all over the bay and man it looks spankin new when it drys up.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Thanks Guys...

... I must have heard the negative side about washing down for the 5.7 motors. Are their KR sensors not protected as well?
What I read was the moisture hangs around there and starts corrosion. One source even stated running it afertwards made it worse.
So, being this motor leans back so much, I'll put a dry absorbant rag in front of the foam and spray away and remove it after I spray. At least I will not be asking for the water to run down hill under the foam. It is not really water tight sealed. It must be there mostly for sound insulation for the sensors?