Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

water injection vs alcohol injection vs intercooler.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 06:56 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default water injection vs alcohol injection vs intercooler.....

Ok, I've been batting a few ideas around lately with regard to the radix and running more than the standard 6-7psi boost........

First = what is considered more desirable? water injection or alcohol injection?
why?

Second = in addition to the water/air intercooler that comes with the radix has anyone thought of adding an air/air intercooler? If you relocated the battery you could position the intake filter there, then have a clear path for tubing to the inlet side of the intercooler, then run the outlet directly to the magna charger inlet keeping bends to a min...

Third = If someone had a true cold air intake, air/air intercooler, water/air intercooler, and water injection what effect would it have on the CDT temp?

I might be crazy , but these are my thoughts as of late....
Old 04-28-2004, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hopefully brian will chime in. i dont think you would need any thing beyond what the radix cooler would offer unles you are going to up the boost a lot.

i plan on running a air to water with water /alcohol injection for high boost track running. (about 20 psi)

as far as the water,alcohol. you will get mixed reviews on this. some people say it is a bandaid which i do not agree with. i have heard best results whe you have a mixture of water and alcohol. they will both cool thi IAT and the alcohol will add octane. i think it is an injenious way to make more power when typical intercooling will not sufice. you can run more timing, boost and also use say 93 octane gas.

propane injection is another oprion but i dont think it is any better than water/alky not sure though.
Old 04-28-2004, 07:18 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

air to air wont work for you, you have to position the intercooler between the blower and the motor and that would be dificult with the radix.
Old 04-28-2004, 07:39 PM
TECH Veteran

To increase cooling capacity, I'd consider a larger heat exchanger... just get a radiator from a small Nip car.
Old 04-28-2004, 07:42 PM
what a rush!

hahaha, haven't heard that one in a while.
Old 04-28-2004, 07:43 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hit Man X
To increase cooling capacity, I'd consider a larger heat exchanger... just get a radiator from a small Nip car.
i have a radiator from a 89 dodge datona, it is prety big
Old 04-28-2004, 07:44 PM
what a rush!

parish8, that makes sense, that might be pretty ugly too.

now I understand why the drop in boost occurs in the air/air intercooler setup....thanks
Old 04-28-2004, 09:30 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

the heat exchanger that you have is more than enough to handle the 8-9 psi you will be making.....The air to air intercooler will be next to impossible to do, you would benefit more from a custom cold air intake with a scoop in the lower valance.

I too have toyed with alcohol injection, the SMC kit to be exact. I feel it is a band aid for an improper tuned truck. It is more effective on a turbo set up IMO, I know dcarins is running it on his Radix....I just dont know about pulling that through the rotors.
Old 04-28-2004, 09:51 PM
12 Second Truck Club

I don't see why meth injection would be a bandaid at all. Your worst enemy with any type of forced induction is heat. An intercooler helps to exchange some of the extra heat but it does so at a price namely loss of boost. This usually leads to adding more psi out of the blower/turbo which creates even more heat exponentially so it is almost a wash. With meth or water you don't have to up the boost at all which will create overall lower IATs than say adding a huge intercooler and adding boost to compensate.

My take on water vs. methanol is to make the kit actually work you must vaporize the liquid thus wicking away heat. Simply look at the temp in whicvh water boils vs methanol. Or take a lil water and put in the palm of your hand and watch how long it takes to evaporate. Now do the same with some rubbing alcohol. See which one evaporates faster and feels cooler while it's doing it? It's the same with heat in your intake charge. If you are interested I will look up a link to some tests done by some chemist guys in regards to meth injection.

The main reason for adding water is to keep costs down if you are using lots of it. OR to reduce the likelyhood of fire since methanol boils around 150deg and is highly flamable. It won't cool as well but for safety reasons it's not a bad idea.

I just think 100% water injection just leaves too much on the table and methanol isn't that expensive for our uses. i just picked up a 5ga jug for $38 which should last me about a month of normal use. Or more if I mix it.
Old 04-28-2004, 09:59 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by F8LPONY
I don't see why meth injection would be a bandaid at all. Your worst enemy with any type of forced induction is heat. An intercooler helps to exchange some of the extra heat but it does so at a price namely loss of boost.
The main reason behind my statement was the fact that the system we are discussing is intercooled. I am running the Radix on my truck with 9.5 psi and have not had any problems at all with det or KR. I guess I could rephrase and state that with the combo that we are discussing, I don’t feel that it will be necessary at all. With tuning and proper boost settings there is NO NEED to go any further with the intercooler/Heat Exchanger that is supplied with the kit.

Quick Reply: water injection vs alcohol injection vs intercooler.....