Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

water injection vs alcohol injection vs intercooler.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

who cares about a daily driver?
Old 04-28-2004, 10:24 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BenKey
who cares about a daily driver?

True True.
Old 04-28-2004, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Actually, I have thought of alky injection. If I got though, I would adjust my timing, hopefully in the 2-5 degree range, run it at the track, then go back to original program and shut down the alky inj. That's how I planned to run it anyway.
Old 04-28-2004, 10:29 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

http://alkycontrol.com/

this is where I got some ideas from..........
Old 04-28-2004, 10:30 PM
12 Second Truck Club

I also agree that alky injection is more useful on a turbo car since you usually run at least 2 boost settings. Min and Max. Like my truck I will probably only run 5-6psi on the Min setting for daily driving. But should I happen across a difficult opponent I will swtich to the Hi setting on the boost controller (10+psi) which will auto arm the Alky kit and start straying when I hit a predetermined amount of boost. It also varys the voltage on the Alky pump according to manifold pressure so I don't over spray methanol and bog the motor down at low boost or spray to little at high boost. Kinda trick for street use.

Julio (AlkyControl)is the bomb
Old 04-28-2004, 10:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Aren't the radix trucks using a air to water intercooler ? If I remember right ya'll have the heat exchanger in the front bumper. Have you ever thought of looking towards teh 03 cobras they have aftermarket heat exchangers taht have yielded very good results. Also if you are looking to just cool it down for the track a small 35 shot of nitrous will go a long way .
Old 04-28-2004, 10:50 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Nitrous does go along way towards cooling but it is still pricey. The cost of the kit is usually more than an Alky kit, non-progressive (without spending bank), takes up much more room, and is much more difficult to store. Meaning once your bottle is empty you're done unless you have a spare.

Still nitrous is used by alot of the 03' Cobra guys to get into those high HP ranges.

I thought about since I have a kit sitting in my garage right now but felt this was better for my application. if anyone is truely interested in Alky injection I would check out the 03' Cobra boards and Turbobuick.com and lurk around a bit and see which will work better for you. Julio at AlkyControl has done a lot of R&D with his kits and could tell you pros and cons with your application. He did do a 92 Chevy truck with a Whipple not too long ago and said it worked great.
Old 04-28-2004, 11:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Dont waste youre time looking at 03 cobra boards for alky information they have about 0 experience but the turbo buick guys have alot.

A nitrous system for the track can be had for less than the SMC alky kit. I would suggest just using a dry shot to cool down the temps at the track.
Old 04-29-2004, 01:55 AM
12 Second Truck Club

That's fine for track use but kinda sucks to use on a daily driver if you plan on seeing high boost alot. Then again not having adjustable boost kinda makes it tough to find a happy medium between optimum track results and daily driving.

The base SMC and AlkyControl kits are only $250. A nitrous kit will usually run you more than that used.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

The good thing about using nitrous with, like the Radix, is you get two benefits from one thing. The nitrous will add the hp, then the cooling effect will in itself add hp. I believe PCMFORLESS stated that he saw nearly a 70hp gain from a 35shot due to the the cooling effect created by the nitrous.

Quick Reply: water injection vs alcohol injection vs intercooler.....