Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

water injection vs alcohol injection vs intercooler.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 08:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is very interesting!!! Would it stand to reason that one could use Alky injection around town at say 7# with a centrifugal and then run the small shot on top of those when you really want to play?? Would there be any tuning issues?? Could that lead to too much of a cooling effect?? That really seems to give you the best of all worlds in my opinion. Of couse Im sure that would hasten the need for the tranny rebuild
Old 04-29-2004, 09:13 AM
TECH Junkie

If ya'll want adjustable boost have you ever thought of contacting vendors who make after market pulley's liek the dial ur boost where you bolt the pulley's so they are easier to swap ? I know there are alot of radix's out there and this could be the solution ya'll are looking for.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:22 AM
TECH Junkie

For you guys who are looking for some more water volume and cooling in your air to water setups I forgot about a little something I have on my cobra basicalliy you take a fuel cell or any other container and put copper tubing inside it and run the fluid through there then you can fill the container with ice or dry ice at the track and have it be super cool. If ya'll are real interested i can take or find some pictures for you.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:32 AM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I would like to see those pictures
Old 04-29-2004, 09:39 AM
TECH Junkie

This is the box

Inside the "super chiller"

And when all else fails put 100 lbs of ice on the blower

I will dig around for some more pics but that give you an idea on how it works. Right now I have that in the back of the cobra and if I can fit that in there then ya'll should have no problem putting something like that in the bed of ya'lls trucks.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:42 AM
12 Second Truck Club

You can put ice on positive displacement blowers??

I know that is a huge no no on centrigufals so was just curious.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:54 AM
TECH Junkie

We have had no problems running ice on the blowers and didnt see anythign but cooler temps. I am no longer running the stock blower on that car but am saving some cash for the procharger at this point.

The super chiller setup is a very good investment and since ya'll have alot of space in the bed you can take advantage of it. There are a few write ups on how to make your own I will see if I can find those they are a very cool setups.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:00 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Usually you don't do it on centrifugals due to the possibility of the cold ice shrinking the outer housing and causing the impeller to crash since it is still hot and expanded... I'm glad to see you guys are able to do it. That's free power!
Old 04-29-2004, 12:38 PM
TECH Resident

im using an air to air intercooler.. so its no maintenence, and cools great.. only prob is loss of boost.
Old 04-29-2004, 01:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bigguy did you get it all set up now? You should only be getting like 0.75psi drop max from having to go through that intercooler.

Nitrous is great for cooling the air temps down for you Radix guys, but where would you put the nozzle? Before the rotors would be a bad idea I think. Is there a place to fit it in the post rotor/pre intercooler section?

Water/Alcohol injection is also another great way to cool the temps. What metal are the rotors made of though. Wouldn't you be worried about the long term effects of spraying water on the rotors i.e. corrosion?

A larger intercooler is going to be very costly to fab for the Radix kit, although it would not be totaly out of the question. Although water/alcohol injection seems like it is a better option than having nitrous going before the rotors, there is still a small downfall in the long term. A larger intercooler is very difficult it seem to fab also. I think if you really wanted to go huge a Radix kit would be difficult to do it with. However, like others have said, I bet you guys can hit around 10psi with a good tune and still be okay without detonation. If you could somehow get those air temps down though, it plays a huge factor in power gains.

Quick Reply: water injection vs alcohol injection vs intercooler.....