Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Weld or Clam the new cats and muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 08:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Weld or Clamp the new cats and muffler?

I was scheduled to have my new cats and x pipe and muffler installed this week by a local garage, but, i found out today that they don't weld. They wanted to use clamps. I was thinking maybe that isn't the best idea because the x pipe is gonna be so close to the cats, i thought it may not be stable. Anyone have any opinion on whether it needs to be welded or not? I can see clamping the muffler because if i don't like it, i can just take it off and clamp on a new one. I think i'm definately gonna do that.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:16 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DanaliHD
I was scheduled to have my new cats and x pipe and muffler installed this week by a local garage, but, i found out today that they don't weld. They wanted to use clamps. I was thinking maybe that isn't the best idea because the x pipe is gonna be so close to the cats, i thought it may not be stable. Anyone have any opinion on whether it needs to be welded or not? I can see clamping the muffler because if i don't like it, i can just take it off and clamp on a new one. I think i'm definately gonna do that.
I prefer welds. No worries with them and they look so much better.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

clamps are fine just make sure that the outer slip joint is slit on 2 sides allowing the joint to clamp properly. Welds are better but also kinda perminate.