Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Well I figured out what my fuel pump problem is

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 10:19 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks a TON grumpy for all your help with the schematics and everything, just got off the phone with my parts guy, its 135 for it but what the hell Im going to go ahead and get it I want my truck up and running.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No problem!!! anytime. If i ever get to go to Texas you have to give me a ride your truck!!!

Last edited by Grumpy5.3; 07-26-2007 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:02 PM

Spliced in that kit, I had power to the pump and it turned on for a little bit now it doesnt come on at all. I checked power to the factory harness before where I spliced the new harness in and I dont have power there now. Im burnout on working on this damn thing, Ill mess with it on Sunday, maybe someone will have a bright idea then.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

maybe you just poped a fuse or relay when you were doing all the wire jumpering.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:09 PM

You can hear the relay click on still when I turn the key. I have looked and looked but dont see anywhere, where there is a FP fuse. You would think there would be but there isnt that I have seen in the owners manual or the fuse panels. Im taking a break till Sunday, Im burnt the hell out.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
You can hear the relay click on still when I turn the key. I have looked and looked but dont see anywhere, where there is a FP fuse. You would think there would be but there isnt that I have seen in the owners manual or the fuse panels. Im taking a break till Sunday, Im burnt the hell out.

MAYBE THE RELAY IS WORKING AND SWITCHING THE SOURCE ON AND OFF, BUT I T DOESNT HAVE ANY POWER IN THE SOURCE IT IS SWITCHING??

LOOK IN THE UNDERHOOD FUSE BOX
Old 07-26-2007, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did you ever check the ECM-B fuse?
Old 07-26-2007, 04:04 PM

Yes the ECMB fuse is good. Here is what happened. I spliced in the new "updated" plug then plugged in the FP and you could hear it come on, so I dropping the bucket in the tank, hooked up the 3 hoses, the map sensor looking thing, the lock ring and turned the key and little fuel dribbled out of the end of the hose. I figured it was just because the lines were dry and 3seconds wasnt enough to get alot of pressure going etc. So I turned the key on/off a couple more times and a little more would come out each time. Randy tells me there should be a ton of fuel pouring out when I turn the key on and its not. I tried using the "prime" slot in the underhood fuse panel by getting power off that power terminal right by it that you get to by taking the big plastic cover off. When I jumped it the pump didnt come on. So I went back pulled the pump out, disconnected the plug from the pump, tested the + side of the plug and it had no power with the key turned on(during the start up 3second cycle) so I checked on the factory harness side of where I spliced the new plug in, no power there. I checked to make sure my relay was still clicking and it was, checked the fuse, it was still good. At that point I got pissed and now here I am on the couch on the internet. Im losing my patience with this POS. I looked at how the wiring is routed and chasing wires up under the truck is not an inviting task What I dont understand is last night with the original(old style) plug I had power to it, no with the new plug spliced in I dont, I could understand that but I dont have power before the butt connectors where I spliced in the new plug, thats what baffles me. I dont know how all the sudden I dont have power at that point when nothing changed except dropping the damn pump in the tank.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:51 PM

bueller!
Old 07-26-2007, 09:31 PM
FormerVendor

There has to be a fuse somewhere in the circut. I can't believe they would build a system without a fail safe. Your going to have to follow the voltage in and out of the relay and trouble shoot from there. It's possible that it could even be the relay itself that could be bad.
So, when are you going to move to LA so Rex and I could help you get your truck going?
Seriously, keep digging Cody, I feel your pain bro. Your so close to getting the truck back on the road.

Richard

Quick Reply: Well I figured out what my fuel pump problem is