Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

What am I missing? No more power after cam/intake swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 10:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What am I missing? No more power after cam/intake swap

Ok so here's the deal, recently I added a TBSS intake, 87MM truck throttle body, LS2 injectors, under driven harmonic balancer and a BTR/EPS 218/226 .604 113LSA+2 cam (recommended by BTR), and an email tune written by a well known/respected tuning service to my 2006 2500HD 6.0L. Prior to the above modifications, the truck already had ARH 1 3/4" long tubes/full exhaust and an airaid MIT intake tube running a custom email diablo tune written by diablew. Prior to the cam/intake swap the truck dynoed on a mustang dyno at a local shop at 393tq/369hp (very optimistic for an lq4 but it was a baseline). After the cam/intake swap running the email tune (EFI LIVE) from the well known tuner the truck put out the exact same power on the same dyno. Frustrated i opted to have the local shop dyno tune the truck (HP tuners) as i was having some issues with the tune other than not making any more power. After the local shop dyno tuned the truck, still the same result, same exact power output.............local shop suggested maybe a better intake or new plugs, the plugs are new NGK iridium's, and the TBSS intake alone should net a HP increase over the factory 2006 manifold. The truck doesn't have any mechanical issues and i just can see how with the above modifications wouldn't gain at least a little HP/TQ especially after having two different custom tunes written/dyno tuning. What am i missing?? Is it possible the cam just doesn't make any more power (i find that hard to believe), plugs?? it doesn't make any sense to me
Old 10-02-2019, 10:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 565 Likes on 487 Posts

I would ask to see the tune file and log files of the run but you may not have access to that because you payed for the service and don't own the tuning software.

The changes you made didn't change the hp/tq graph at all or just peak numbers were the same?
Old 10-02-2019, 10:37 PM
Staging Lane

Hp and tq curves were nearly identical, with the exception of a slight dip in peak numbers (due to tune I believe), same after the local shop tuned it on their dyno. I have EFI live, but I'm not sure if I will be able to read the tune file now since it was written by HP?? I'm new to tuning which is why I paid two different people to write tunes lol. I really don't feel like either tune was complete crap as my butt dyno told me the truck was performing slightly better (subjective I know).......and i monitor LTFT, spark knock, commanded AFR, MAF flow rate yada yada with a diablo trinity and nothing looked terribly abnormal. So it seems there just isn't any more power to be made?? Which according to most dyno sheets I've seen of trucks with similar modifications I'm 40 to 50 hp short lol. Also according the the MAF/trinity I'm flowing a max of about 300 grams/sec of air, prior to the cam/intake the max was usually around 240grams/sec so unless it's just starving for fuel which seems unlikely stuff just isn't adding up.
Old 10-03-2019, 05:41 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

What kind of dyno...
Old 10-03-2019, 05:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 465 Likes on 365 Posts

Dynos are a tuning tool, track will tell you real numbers...
Old 10-03-2019, 06:21 AM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

Does it feel any different driving it? Should be very noticeable. Unless they didn’t install the cam correctly....
Old 10-03-2019, 08:14 AM
Launching!

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

did the truck previously have a cam in it?
Old 10-03-2019, 11:11 AM
Staging Lane

I installed the cam, yes it was done correctly. Dyno is a mustang, had the factory cam before. And yes I agree the dyno is a tool, that's showing I've made absolutely no more power or change to the power curve with parts that most certainly should change those things haha...........0-60 times have remained the same, don't have any quarter mile times, it's a 6600lb 3/4 ton truck haha. The whole point of doing the before and after dyno runs was to see what kind or real world gains I made with the addition of the cam/intake, not chasing dyno numbers. But to make absolutely no more power???!? Like I said my butt dyno told me it was performing a little better but I think most of that could be attributed to the way the transmission was programmed. Especially after seeing the power curve had virtually no change after the cam/intake/tune.

This is the first dyno run before the cam/intake swap running the diablew tune, couldn't get 3rd gear to hold with diablo software so the curve is a little funky.

2nd dyno run after cam/intake swap running email EFI Live tune, overlaid on the first run. Dip in power at peak RPM due to fueling/tune issue

Final dyno run after local shop dyno tuned it with HP tuners

Old 10-03-2019, 11:26 AM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

It needs more rpm to make use of the cam, but ya that’s not right. That cam will make power to 6200 easy, something is restricting it. What valve springs are in it?
Old 10-03-2019, 11:48 AM
Staging Lane

BTR dual rate platinum, trunion upgrade, pushrods, seals.......got the whole cam kit specd by BTR for my truck

Quick Reply: What am I missing? No more power after cam/intake swap