Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

what did i do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 04:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did something fall into the intake runner when you swapped manifolds?
Old 02-25-2012, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by milkey57
Did something fall into the intake runner when you swapped manifolds?
that was my only thought but to wipe out 4 pistons i was wondering if maybe something else happened. i did have some leaves and crap fall into the runners but i vacuumed them out and cleaned them i thought really good. well i guess this is an expensive lesson learned. now when i build my 383 out of this block i will remember to not do that again.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:05 PM
Un-Registered User

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by greasemykey
that was my only thought but to wipe out 4 pistons i was wondering if maybe something else happened. i did have some leaves and crap fall into the runners but i vacuumed them out and cleaned them i thought really good. well i guess this is an expensive lesson learned. now when i build my 383 out of this block i will remember to not do that again.
In the Navy aviation industry we call this "FOD Control". It prevents this from happening weather it be hardware, tools, etc.... We account for it. As well as many other extensive tool checking procedures. Won't bore you with it but, it has been implemented into my garage to ensure no self enduced damage occurs. Live and learn bro. At least it's not a multi million dollar aircraft
Old 02-25-2012, 08:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was the intake new or used? If it came off a engine that blew up then it could of had metal in it that your sucked into your engine. Also i would replace the intake with a brand new intake or one that you know is clean when build your new engien. When i worked at the gm dealer we would replace the intake if the engine came apart or looked like metal was in the cylinders, gm had a bulletin about not to use intakes after a engine failure since metal could be inside the intake and do to the design of the intake you cant thoroughly clean them out.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

the intake was used but im not sure of the engine it came off of. i wish it was a government aircraft because i would not be fronting the bill on the engine. we have a similiar method in the coast guard as well. never thought i would need it. next time ill buy and engine bore scope and use that to check the pistons if i have to pull the intake off again.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Low_S-10
Was the intake new or used? If it came off a engine that blew up then it could of had metal in it that your sucked into your engine. Also i would replace the intake with a brand new intake or one that you know is clean when build your new engien. When i worked at the gm dealer we would replace the intake if the engine came apart or looked like metal was in the cylinders, gm had a bulletin about not to use intakes after a engine failure since metal could be inside the intake and do to the design of the intake you cant thoroughly clean them out.
You hit that nail on the head.

Always got to clean intakes befor you install them.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:04 AM
On The Tree

Damn I feel for you dude. So what heads are you going to run?
Old 02-28-2012, 10:37 AM
On The Tree

That damage is from physical objects entering the cylinder. No detonation would do that unless of course, the piston had come apart and it would be very clear if that had happened.

There is also the possiblity that the spark plug porcelain came off and caused those indentations, but thats very uncommon. If you bought that intake used, thats likely the culprit. Anytime a dealership or shop pulls off an intake on a motor thats blown up, they throw it out into the scrap pile and commonly, a scrap guy grabs it up and sells it. Once the other person figured out where it came from, he probably sold it to you or someone else and eventually, it made its way to you. Due to the design of the intakes, (theres a GM bulletin on this) you cannot get all the debris out of it, thus it is thrown out.

They need to put out a secondary bulletin about destroying these intakes with a air hammer before putting them in the dumpster so that this stops happening. Anytime I have a throwout part, I completely destroy it or cut it in half with the bandsaw so nobody even tries to use it.

Sorry to see you were a victum of the lowly junk man.

If you are interested in selling those heads for repair, please shoot me a pm.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

well that sucks *****. now i need to buy yet another intake. looks like the truck will sit even longer. well thanks for that bit of info. it will keep me from putting the TBSS intake on the new 383 and destroying that one. maybe you can point me in the direction of a intake from and engine that was not destroyed?