Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

What to do

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 11:33 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What to do

When I blew my motor, I (obviously) decided to go with a 6L. The problem is I'm having trouble finding a LQ9 around town. So I think I'm gonna get the LQ4. My question is: I had planned on milling the heads .030 to bring the compression up th the LQ9 level. I also was gonna get cam motion to grind me a cam. My problem is I want to port and polish the heads, but dont have the time right now, soooooo. Should I mill the factory heads, and get an extra set to mill and P&P get a used cam now and after I get the other heads milled get the custom cam? Or mill the heads now and dont worry about P&P them, or leave it stock and spray 100 shot, or mill the heads and spray? Then when the ole lady chills and I get my tools back P&P some heads and get the cam? I know what I WANT to do, but it isnt too smart. I want to mill the stock heads, get a used cam, then get another set of heads P&P and mill them get them flowed and get a custom cam.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your better off money wise to just keep the thing down until you get what you want, If you start spending time and money to get it running on the cheap stuff it will never satisfy you so why not leave it down and get all the right stuff the first time, so you dont have to waste money doing everything all over. That is what I would do. I dont like to settle for things.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:43 PM
12 Second Truck Club

I know thats what I need to do, I just need to hear it from someone else Its just not what I want to hear. Im starting to think Ill just go with bolt ons and a custom cam from cam motion, and save teh rest for my '78 and put a big block in it
Old 09-20-2005, 04:15 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would play with the 78' personally. Drop the 6L in there with your cam and be done with and save your money for a real hot rod.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:50 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
I would play with the 78' personally. Drop the 6L in there with your cam and be done with and save your money for a real hot rod.

I no longer have my cam. It got destroyed. I think I'm just going to get cam motion to grind one for me, and tune it with my stall. Headers when Pacesetter getts off their ***, and call it done.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by white1
I no longer have my cam. It got destroyed. I think I'm just going to get cam motion to grind one for me, and tune it with my stall. Headers when Pacesetter getts off their ***, and call it done.
was that the cam I sold you? If so that sucks sorry to hear that
Old 09-20-2005, 11:38 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Dark Halo
was that the cam I sold you? If so that sucks sorry to hear that

Yep. Man I loved it too. It soundes awesome, and ran like a spotted *** ape even with the stock stall. Damn tranny went out, and caused a serious over rev I think.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:01 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by white1
Yep. Man I loved it too. It soundes awesome, and ran like a spotted *** ape even with the stock stall. Damn tranny went out, and caused a serious over rev I think.
the tranny was part of the problem but i think the nut behind the steering wheel is what did it
Old 09-21-2005, 08:11 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by crazyidiot4.8
the tranny was part of the problem but i think the nut behind the steering wheel is what did it

I think that may have been a small part.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:36 AM
Sexy Party Mod

White1 if you were to mill the heads, would that effect the maximum lift you could go with on a cam? Or is it all in the chamber within the heads. I know with milled heads you would have to get different size pushrods.