Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

What To Do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 09:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by erronisme
sorry I have to say this...but your how old??

and you have a BRAND NEW TRUCK??

When I was 16........ lol

Im going to be the first to say it....and I hope you dont take it the wrong way...
but maybe you should leave it alone for a while...

two reasons....warenty and obviously your driving experience...

If you had an old beater then I would say mod the hell out of it and have fun.... but I think you should give it some time...

again...nothing personal
Well.... you can look at it that way, or just look at it like a learning experience. It's not a bad thing to learn performance at an early age. When he gets older, then he'll know exactly what and what not to do.
I too had a beater in High School, but I wouldn't have ever turned down a new vehicle. I had a 77 Ford F-150 with a mildly built 460. I tore out the tranny, engine, and rear end throughout my entire High School years. It was definately a learning experience. I had to adjust on that damn 750 double pumper Holley Carb almost every week...... thank God for Fuel Injection!
I would say leave it alone if it was my son, but even I as a kid wanted to go faster and always snuck a mod from under my dads nose. Sometimes he didn't care, but when I put loud exhaust on it, then he frowned!
I say mod the crap out of it. Hell, if he gets a new truck at 16, then I can't wait to see what he gets when he graduates! Possibly a new Vette!

Jim
Old 04-26-2006, 10:18 PM
formerly silverbrick (changed 02/17/2013)

if your buddy knows any thing you wont be able to edge over his diesel, if he tries, with your 4.3 but i say listen to the tune and CAI and other little things until you drive the dump truck far enough to dump your 4.3 for a 6.0
Old 04-26-2006, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I say go for something cheap and simple.....like a 6.0 swap..

On a serious note, pick up an intake and a mail order tune. Please don't buy a programmer though, do it right the first time and get a custom tune.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 04Z71
Shouldent U Be Trying To Make Go Carts Or Rc Cars Faster. And Sorry We All Dont Have Mommy And Daddy To Buy New Trucks And Have Private Roads. And Also Going For Your License And Having Driving Experience R Two Different Things. Keyword - Experience
Hey, from the looks of your recent posts and questions you have no room to talk . I'm 16 and have no problem handling my truck, and trust me, it'll easily walk yours any day of the week.

He's just looking for a little help man, there's no need in being rude about it. I know experience is key, but cut him a little slack. At least he's here asking questions instead of just going out there clueless and tearing his new truck apart.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:28 PM
Teching In

As for me i am not stupid i know that the 4.3 is not the best motor out there but considering that my dad had the biggest gas motor in his 2000 one ton... I know what the difference in power it... Put it this way its the 7.4 liter and it hauls *** for a full size truck..... I know to his truck i could put some peformance **** on it.... But i think i n amaybe a year or so i will ask him if i can swap it out with his. His only has 40,000 miles on it and only gets about 5000 miles a year.. But i am doing a engine swap right now with a buddy on his 73 chevrolet... We lifted it and now are in the process of putting a 454 in it..... It cranks...

But thanks for the suggestions....... Where would the best place be if i were to get some peformance parts for it? Cheap and reliable... Thanks... I am only looking to addmaybe 20 horsepower but thanks....
Old 04-27-2006, 11:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

the biggest bang for the buck bein cheap and simple, if you got mechanical skills just buy a used nitrous kit off ebay or somethin and install it your self..
Old 04-28-2006, 07:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Custom tune: www.nelsonperformance (I vote for this one) www.wait4meperformance.com just to name a few of the most popular ones.
Where do you live anyways? Maybe we can direct you to a local performance vender or you can use our reasonably priced sponsored vendors here at this site.
I would go a head and pick up a drop in K&N air filter from your local parts store (O'Reily's, Autozone, or Walmart).

Jim
Old 04-29-2006, 01:04 AM
formerly silverbrick (changed 02/17/2013)

true about the filter and if he is planning on trading with his dad soemthign tells me he shoudl get involved with nitrous, i know that wouldnt sit well with my parents plus its ona brand new truck i wouldnt want to be messing with that stuff yet. just get a filter, maybe CAI, defintite tune, you could even get some gears if you wanted to spend some money, and of course the visual too if you want to look fly