Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

What to do with HPP-3 after custom tune

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 09:44 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do with HPP-3 after custom tune

I occasionally see used Hypertech programmers for sale with a comment that the owner got a custom tune and no longer needs the HPP. I came to the same juncture, but decided to keep mine because not only can it still be used to make changes in speedometer calibration due to tire or gear changes, and shift points and other non-tune functions without affecting the tune, but the best reason to keep it is to temporarily store your custom tune. I still have two years left on my warranty and I don't know anything about my dealer's policy on flashing GM updates, such as the one to address the 1-2 shift problems. I don't want them ruining my tune doing such, or just performing a flash based on visible mods.

So, if I ever have to go back for a warranty repair, like I will in a couple of weeks when my replacement intermediate steering shaft comes in, I will store my custom tune in my HPP and then reload it after my truck is repaired. Of course I'll have the 100 miles or so re-learn period, but that's much less of an inconvenience than having to send my PCM back to have my tune reloaded. There may be other situations for which that could be done for out-of-warranty vehicles also.

Just thought I'd pass that along in case it isn't common knowledge.
Old 10-28-2004, 09:54 AM
TECH Addict

I don't know who did your tune but if it was a Wester's or Nelson's, maybe some others, I would think they would give another tune if the dealer flashed your pcm.
Old 10-28-2004, 10:16 AM
Staging Lane

Bryan Herter did it, and yes he will reload it, but I can save it myself in about five minutes with the HPP vs having to remove my PCM, package it and send it back, pay shipping charges, then reinstall it, and be without my truck for a week while my PCM is out for reprogramming.
Old 10-28-2004, 01:06 PM
TECH Addict

Won't the HPP3 tune be loaded on the pcm if you do that, though?
Old 10-28-2004, 01:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by leochevy2001
Won't the HPP3 tune be loaded on the pcm if you do that, though?
Yes it will, providing you returned your PCM to the stock tune before sending it off for custom tune. And if the dealer flashes your PCM, when you go to reload your custom tune, the HPP will pull the new stock tune (with latest updates) and reload your custom tune. The result will be that the HPP tune will be lost (overwritten with the stock tune), but no big deal unless you want to sell the HPP. However, if you ever need to do the process again, you will be temporarily loading a stock tune into your PCM while it stores your custom tune again.
Old 10-28-2004, 02:28 PM
11 Second Club

Are you sure about it storing the custom tune? I was under the impression that it will just load the "canned" stock tune or power tune and not store anything. Have you done this already?
Old 10-28-2004, 02:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by nuzee
Are you sure about it storing the custom tune? I was under the impression that it will just load the "canned" stock tune or power tune and not store anything. Have you done this already?
Well, the HPP would have to store whatever is in your PCM because you have the option at any time to return your PCM to stock with your HPP after you load the HPP tune when you first buy one. The HPP owner's manual states that it stores yous stock tune prior to loading the HPP tune and when I did mine, it took a couple of minutes while it displayed "Copying..." before it went to "Loading...". Bryan confirmed that when I asked about the feasibility of doing this. Apparently he has done it successfully several times.
Old 10-28-2004, 04:10 PM
11 Second Club

I was warned about the HPP3 overwriting a custom tune awhile back. Maybe the HPP3s are different for trucks vs. F-bodies. I just hope you don't lose your custom tune. I truly hope it is sucessful as you say. This would make my HPP3 much more valuable to me.