Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

What do I need w/ the flex-a-lite electric fans?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2003, 12:36 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow What do I need w/ the flex-a-lite electric fans?

Fixing to get some extra cash in a week or two, gonna get some flex-a-lite (292 or 290, the ones for the 28" radiator) electric fans from truckperformance.com.

Do they come with everything or do I need to buy something else with them?

Will I see a nice SOTP improvement with them? Shouldn't it drop around .1-.15 sec off my 1/4 mile time?
Old 11-11-2003, 01:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

I couldnt tell much of a difference with them. I consider it one of those mods that makes it more reliable, rather than performance related. To me, it was worth it for getting rid of the roar of the mechanical fan. They also let me keep the truck cooler, where the fan clutch would only engage at a certain temp making the lower thermostat useless pretty much.

Sadly they don't make a set for the smaller radiator, just the big one. Last I heard anyways. They do come all inclusive though.

You can see in these pics that they don't fit the small radiator,m but they can be made to fit them with some american engineering.

http://bettie.homeip.net/atvpics/Truck/E-Fans/

The first one, you can see the drilled holes where I had to modify the mounting bracket. The last one is hard to make out, but it's a fat zip tie on the bottom holding it snug to the radiator on the bottom.
Old 11-11-2003, 01:53 AM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I really noticed a diff in my truck. Spins up much faster and the gas mileage is better!
Old 11-11-2003, 01:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

I must also add .. I didn't have mine over a 1000 miles before I swapped out radiators and put the fans on, so I would believe it if someone else says they felt lots of difference.
Old 11-11-2003, 01:56 AM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I noticed that it helped the supercharger spin up faster. I have heard that N/A trucks get up to 17 pounds at the wheels. That is what you will feel.
Old 11-11-2003, 06:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Flyer
I couldnt tell much of a difference with them.
I did on my 99. My truck is much more responsive, as in it revs quicker and idles down quicker, now that the clutch fan is gone. I also noticed a bit more power because now that fan isn't bogging the engine down. It's nothing spectacular but it was noticeable. It was money well spent.

Originally Posted by Flyer
Sadly they don't make a set for the smaller radiator, just the big one. Last I heard anyways. They do come all inclusive though.
Sure they do. It's either the 290 or 292 series. Flyer is right that everything you need will come in the box.
Old 11-11-2003, 06:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've done this, after measuring my radiator wrong. No problem though, after 2 tries, I got the right radiator and everything slipped in pretty well.
Not a bad mod IMO, it's nice to have that few extra inches in the engines bay for the intake and such and to listen to them to spin up.

It's been a year or so, but I haven't seen a Flex-A-Lite model for the smaller radiator, but Perma-Cool makes one, but for a much steeper price.
Old 11-11-2003, 07:33 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by OBXMarine
It's been a year or so, but I haven't seen a Flex-A-Lite model for the smaller radiator, but Perma-Cool makes one, but for a much steeper price.
Here it is
Old 11-11-2003, 10:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by holderp
Wished I would have known that about a year ago .. I could have saved some time and aggervation as well as money.
Old 11-11-2003, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well it's about time! No worries though. I broke about even having to buy the radiator. Got the Fans on ebay. Plus it makes that 6.0l swap more tempting. Too bad I can't get a bigger gas tank. 23 gallons isn't going to get me too far, especially since I don't run the truck below 1/4 tank.

Quick Reply: What do I need w/ the flex-a-lite electric fans?