Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

What to do for more power?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 04:15 PM
Truck addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

efans will help you out in daily driving. when it heats up you won't have to worry about that loud clutch fan engaging. udp's helped me out a lot when i was mostly stock. i like them but some people dont.

you could swap your mufflers over to magnaflow or something with a little more flow to them.

tr55 plugs, 8mm plug wires, port and polish your tb, converter, shift kit.
Old 07-26-2006, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

CAM!!!!!! W4M is compleatly capable of tuning for you cam man....... DO IT!!!!!! along with a stall..... i have almost your exact set up and those are my next 2 mods when i save up
Old 07-26-2006, 04:42 PM
Teching In

If i can find someone to do the cam that knows what their doing I will, I know i will get the best gains from it. My goal is to make as close to 400rwhp as i can without nos or boost and just being faster than other 3/4ton trucks around, especially superduty's. I just cant afford a SC until my career takes a big upswing. I can spend $500-1000 with some time to save. Might as well spend it now before I have a family to think about. Thanks for the help guys, this site has already made my truck faster.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:27 PM
Staging Lane

I know you may not want to hear this....but 400 RWHP will be tough to get w/o the use of a Turbo, SC, or Nitrous. It is possible but likely will cost you a few dollars more than planned. Cheapest route is Nitrous which you can likely do for under $1K. Opinions are mixed on Nitrous vs a safe reliable vehicle. But if you wanted a daily driver and then occasional smoking of a sports car or hot truck,,,,then Nitrous may fit your budget. I just read that ZEX has a kit for GM GENIII.

I have similar mods to yours. I have the Flex-a-lite e-fan. Prob good for 10 or so HP.....Flex a lite claims 17 HP...but I doubt that....I spent over $600 on Throttle body and Granatelli MAF...Which were a waste a money IMO. My next step is likely a Radix. Just trying to round up the greens for it..

Good luck!
Old 07-26-2006, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

N2O if done right is the safest boosted power adder you can do!!
Old 07-26-2006, 10:11 PM
Teching In

how hard is a dry nos kit to hook up, one that can just go into the air intake. I might consider the fans but they are damn expensive and I could almost get a cam for that. What about higher ratio rockers? would that be something needed to be done with a cam. I need to suck it up and go with smaller tires too, the damn 35's make my launch a little slow but after that it runs hard. I guess a stall would be good to. Anybody have a guess on what my 6.0 is making at the wheels with the mods I have. How much would a cam add. Thanks.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:40 PM
Staging Lane

I wouldn't recommend an efan unless you have money laying around or unless you went with the budget LS1(?) fans that some folks do from Ebay. And still an efan won't give you much more SOTP feel than you already have....put it mildy...you'll barely notice the 10 HP difference on 5,000 lb+ rig. I did mine for reasons other than just HP.

I've never done a Nitrous install,,,,,but it looks pretty simple with todays kits. I checked on them a few weeks back and kits we're running $500-700. You can get fancy with electronics and "stage" your injections based on RPMs and such. I was considering Nitrous at first since I snow plow with my truck and Nitrous only comes in when you want it to.....but I'm leaning towards a Radix at this point.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:57 PM
Truck addict

ls1 fans aren't the cheapest fans to be had. you can get better flowing fans for a whole lot less money. as far as a dry shot, you will have to spray it before the mass air sensor. that way it can read the charge and add fuel.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:45 PM
Teching In

I think i would launch much harder with a stall, I might start with that and then a cam. Gotta start saving. With efans im just scared that offroad or pulling a heavy load that something might short and ill burn the motor up. It doesnt seem worth it to not even see a sotp increase. Would you say that Im making over 300rwhp with the mods I have??? Would I see any sotp gain swithching my flowmaster to a magnaflow? Keep the info coming.
Old 07-29-2006, 05:54 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by HvyChevyZ71
I think i would launch much harder with a stall, I might start with that and then a cam. Gotta start saving. With efans im just scared that offroad or pulling a heavy load that something might short and ill burn the motor up. It doesnt seem worth it to not even see a sotp increase. Would you say that Im making over 300rwhp with the mods I have??? Would I see any sotp gain swithching my flowmaster to a magnaflow? Keep the info coming.
Not sure an efan would do good offroading. The flex a lite Monster fans I have do a great job of pulling in air but offroading has it's own specific air requirements too.

The mods in your sig probably give you at least 30-40 HP over stock. I've read in many places that the Wait4me tune (or any good PCM tune) is worth around 25-30 HP. Don't know what stock HP is for you engine...but that should give you a ballpark.

Quick Reply: What to do for more power?