Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

What to do to my truck?? SC or swap?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 08:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go 6.0L for sure

1. Cheaper
2. More reliable
3. Better foundation for the future
4. Pop your hood, it looks like a 4.8L

i'd bet a stock LQ4 with a mild cam would be faster then a blown 4.8L.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BADMOFO
After seeing SLOWPROCESS's times with his 6.0L swap, I don't think it would be a question. I'm in the mood (again) to finally get my 6.0L in thanks to his awesome times with his. I'm sure mine won't run as good as his does, since I went with a smaller cam and don't have head work, but I still hope to be in the 13's N/A in my Extended cab and spray it into the 12's. Go with the 6.0L, and get the same cam as he did. That things RUNS!
What he said! I'm pretty happy with the swap, and I put plenty of miles on it going to the track and work. I feel that it's a very dependable setup, and like black02 said, it looks like a 4.8L.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go ahead. Do what everyone else does and drop a 6.0 in your truck and still be behind some 4.8 liters. Or you could wrench on your 4.8 and make some good power, run some fast times and not have done it like everyone else. Thats just my opinion.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

s/c 4.8 will be faster
s/c 4.8 will get better mileage
s/c 4.8 will be considered "cooler" obviously. cuz u have a "supercharged truck"

6.0 will be faster in long run (pending u save the money)
6.0 will be more reliable (i assume)

theres the good points to both, its up to u
Old 11-08-2004, 09:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LTNKLR01
Go ahead. Do what everyone else does and drop a 6.0 in your truck and still be behind some 4.8 liters. Or you could wrench on your 4.8 and make some good power, run some fast times and not have done it like everyone else. Thats just my opinion.
It seems to me like there are plenty of guys on here "wrenching" on 4.8Ls, so you're not as individualistic as you make out to be. There aren't that many swaps being done, so I don't think he would be like "everyone" else. Of course, my opinion too.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:19 PM
TECH Junkie

I say go 6.0 then save up for boost later on. Or you could always just build up the 6.0 and not run a supercharger-but the 6L is a strong engine alone without boost-but a a supercharger 4.8 would be cool too. I would look at pricing and go from there go with whatever is in your budget and no matter what you do just be sure to get a good tune along with it-always good to pickup a few extra hp. Good luck with the decision and keep us posted.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slowprocess
It seems to me like there are plenty of guys on here "wrenching" on 4.8Ls, so you're not as individualistic as you make out to be. There aren't that many swaps being done, so I don't think he would be like "everyone" else. Of course, my opinion too.
I never said that I was the "only one" wrenching on my 4.8. There are guys on this site that are doin it with a 4.8. 01Thunder is a prime example. 13 N/A. Thats impressive. As for the number of guys doing the swap, I have seen at least a dozen threads started by guys who were doing it. I am not against it but I just want to remind them that there is other choice than doing a engine swap. by the way slow, kick *** numbers man
Old 11-08-2004, 09:30 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

6.0 all the way. for the same price as a blower you can do a camed 6.0 with a stall, headers and tune. probably be close the the same ET but no tuning/heat/pullys/belts to mess with.

your miliage will be worse with a 6.0 if that matters. just a guess but i would say 3-6mpg worse.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LTNKLR01
I never said that I was the "only one" wrenching on my 4.8. There are guys on this site that are doin it with a 4.8. 01Thunder is a prime example. 13 N/A. Thats impressive. As for the number of guys doing the swap, I have seen at least a dozen threads started by guys who were doing it. I am not against it but I just want to remind them that there is other choice than doing a engine swap. by the way slow, kick *** numbers man
Thanks man. I'm really impressed with you 4.8L guys, don't get me wrong. Three weeks ago I was one, only I was slow. The main reason I went for the swap was mileage. I was getting on up there, and I had just paid the truck off, so I decided it was going to stay in the driveway for a few more years. I would probably estimate it would cost about the same either way. Whichever way he goes, he'll have a nice setup. I got to see 01Thunder's truck this weekend, and I still think he's slipped a swap in there on us. His truck makes some serious noise with the cutouts open and the cam hitting. I mean, the dirty air filter. I also saw your numbers on the list. I bet you take plenty of people's money.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:06 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a 6.0 would be nice.if you have the time and skills to do it.but a s/c 4.8 would kick *** to.i think a blown 4.8 would be better on gas but prolly more expensive if you were going for times.either way both of them would be cool.i am just saving for s/c or turbo cause i don't have no miles on my truck so the 4.8 will work for now.down the road it will be a swap.there is so much info on here just look around.good luck pimp

Quick Reply: What to do to my truck?? SC or swap?