Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

What to do to my truck?? SC or swap?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

getting a used s/c for ur truck off ebay and slapping it on will set u up for easy 13s, and u can work ur way from there. the 6.0 with a built trans, heads, cam , boltons, stall, etc, is the best way to go... but i mean we're talking a major price difference here. not really in the same catagory
Old 11-10-2004, 01:20 PM
Teching In

Slow how much was your tranny and what do you think it will hold?
Old 11-10-2004, 02:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slowprocess
What brand blower did you use to run the 12.6? I see you had E,HDR,I,TQ-3000,H,C,3.73,ECM, & SC. That's pretty much my list of mods as well, with the exception of the blower. I'm not stuck at a 12.67 by any means. This was the first time at the track this year, and I'm still "very" conservative on the launch with the stock g80. No excuses here, I'm just trying to put into perspective how much money it takes to equal the two, and durability issues. I think that has been the discussion here. I would imagine I'm well under your costs, especially considering the price of the radix as opposed to a 6.0L block.
I ran the 12.6 with the radix. I know that the truck had more in it. But that was then and this is now so we will have to see what it does in the future.
Old 11-10-2004, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

the only way to compare two trucks is to run them right next to each other, same tires, same weight.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by bigredchevy
Slow how much was your tranny and what do you think it will hold?
My tranny was $1950, and it is supposed to handle over 500hp. It comes with a year warranty, so I'm going to see what it's got.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Slow My 5.3 is dying and Im thinking of swapping in the 6.0L.
do you think its worth while keeping the supercharger on the new motor and just go with some of the bolt ons. I could sell the S/C and use the funds to pay for the 6.0L. The 6.0 L is 10 to 1 compression, it looks like I need to lower compression to keep the S/C on the motor. What do you think?

Old 11-10-2004, 08:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jamesbond2509
Slow My 5.3 is dying and Im thinking of swapping in the 6.0L.
do you think its worth while keeping the supercharger on the new motor and just go with some of the bolt ons. I could sell the S/C and use the funds to pay for the 6.0L. The 6.0 L is 10 to 1 compression, it looks like I need to lower compression to keep the S/C on the motor. What do you think?

I don't know about selling that SC. A supercharged 6.0L would be bad! If the motor is stock, I don't think the compression is that high from the factory. I could be wrong on that. The heads were milled and thinner gaskets were installed on my 6.0L, and that's where my compression should be around. If I were you, I would go ahead and keep that Kenne! Just slap it on the 6.0L, do the bolt ons, a stall, and talk to some guys to find a good boost cam, and you would blow the doors off of that thing!
Old 11-10-2004, 08:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Will the stock transmission hold?

No and maybe, my transmission will not shift 2-3 at WOT with the TM removed, it works fine when TM is pulling 15 degrees of timing. I think am running around 360rwhp, and the transmission only has 66000KMs on it.

If you leave the TM in, it should last for awhile, if your not to hard on it and you have a good transmission to start with..

As for gas mileage in the city it will be a little worse, on the highway it will be better. I get the same MPG as with the 5.3L maybe a tad less (14-15) but on a long highway trip I get 18mpg.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slowprocess
I don't know about selling that SC. A supercharged 6.0L would be bad! If the motor is stock, I don't think the compression is that high from the factory. I could be wrong on that. The heads were milled and thinner gaskets were installed on my 6.0L, and that's where my compression should be around. If I were you, I would go ahead and keep that Kenne! Just slap it on the 6.0L, do the bolt ons, a stall, and talk to some guys to find a good boost cam, and you would blow the doors off of that thing!
Oh man that wasnt hard to convince me! I checked on the 6L crate engine and its the one that they put in the SS with 10 to 1 compression so if I leave it at 5-6 psi boost, I probably would be safe. The thing about the twin screws is that every time you need to open up a valve cover, the SC has to come off unlike the Radix. But I think I can live with that. How painful is the engine swap. Does the tranny come out too and is it out the top of the engine compartment? I understand that some late model Fords come out the bottom.

Old 11-10-2004, 11:59 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if your keeping the blower get the lower compresion 6.0.

takes me about 8 hours to swap a motor in my garage. pulls out the top and the tranny stays in the truck.

Quick Reply: What to do to my truck?? SC or swap?