Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

what happened? truck dead

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 05:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man hate to see something like that.. sux man.. did it get the piston or you dont know yet???
Old 03-08-2009, 05:45 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fredkj3
man hate to see something like that.. sux man.. did it get the piston or you dont know yet???
My guess is that the valve dropped into the cylinder and reaped havoc, if you look closely at the pic, there's no valve stem or retainer on top of the spring, just an empty valve seal.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:55 PM
Staging Lane

Kind of silly at this point, but did you find both keepers yet or did they oil-wash into the engine?
Old 03-08-2009, 06:48 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea that sucks.
They must have got pissed at your ridiculous cam choice and driving slow.

Have you been able to determine if the piston got saved?
Old 03-08-2009, 07:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

i just got done with one truck and fixin to start tearin down into his truck..but with the valve completely gone like it is, im expecting the worst.. only good news is that there no water in the oil.. i think i hear iron ls1 is coming.. the thing he said that pissed him off the most is that he had no good story to why it broke.. he was just cruisin down the highway. he would have felt better if he was racin a vette or somethin when it broke
Old 03-08-2009, 07:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Uhm if the valve is missing (which is looks like it) that motor is pretty much junk. Maybe the crank cam are salvageable if your lucky. That valve dancing around in the cylinder I can assure you destroyed the cyl wall and piston.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hirdlej
Uhm if the valve is missing (which is looks like it) that motor is pretty much junk. Maybe the crank cam are salvageable if your lucky. That valve dancing around in the cylinder I can assure you destroyed the cyl wall and piston.
yep thats why im expecting the worst
Old 03-08-2009, 07:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by dirt track racer 81
i just got done with one truck and fixin to start tearin down into his truck..but with the valve completely gone like it is, im expecting the worst.. only good news is that there no water in the oil.. i think i hear iron ls1 is coming.. the thing he said that pissed him off the most is that he had no good story to why it broke.. he was just cruisin down the highway. he would have felt better if he was racin a vette or somethin when it broke
That's what I said about breaking my tranny when I was clear down in TX 2 weeks ago. I wasn't that pissed that it broke, but I was pissed that I didn't get a new best time running down at sealevel in good air before it broke
Old 03-08-2009, 08:14 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea, when my trans went I was just cruisin down the highway with my 2 year old daughter asleep in the seat next to me. I gave it a little throttle to accelerate and suddenly the tach pinned and I started slowing down. I said "****" because I knew what happened, and just did my best to limp the truck into a nearby parking lot. Best part was that my daughter slept through the whole thing...but no cool story as to how it happened
Old 03-08-2009, 08:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

if the truck was smoking then the valve went through the piston, if not, then im pretty sure the whole cylinder wall is messed up plus the piston...

Quick Reply: what happened? truck dead