Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

What heads and Cam? Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2003, 05:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What heads and Cam? Please Help!

Read a lot of post but still uncertain. Got my income tax check back, and got about $3500 to spend on my toy. I was origianally going to save up and get the Radix Magnacharger, but I would like to increase the N/A power first. I have been told that the 5.7 heads and cams will work with this truck, but do not have the chevy know how.

Can someone please let me know what head and cam package is recommended? I am ready to buy this week.

I am looking for good power gain, with decent idle, and the ability to run regular unleaded. If I do this mod, and am planning for a supercharger later, I guess that needs to be placed into concideration. I know at that point that I need to custom tune it also, but that is down the road.

Can the stock computer handle the upgraded heads and cam, or do I have to custom tune it right away? I don't know if $3500 will cover it all, but I have some more if needed. I do know what I need to do to the drivetrain to handle the power I am looking at. If all goes well, than I can have that dream of getting a truck that makes over 400rwhp, and can handle it.

All help will be greatly appreciated.

Oh yeah, one more question, should I get knew roller rockers also with this setup? I definately want to, but am unsure of what is out there on these also.
Old 04-28-2003, 05:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: What heads and Cam? Please Help!

Sorry, but thought about it a little more, what would be a good package to go with that will still give me good drivability also? I don't want the motor to have to rev over 4000rpm before I make my power either. I am looking for at least 50 rwhp, this way I know with the better heads and cam, the supercharger would only help give even better performance numbers, with the increased flow capabilities. I would off course like to keep my original block and work from there. I know the crank is strong enough, and believe that the rods are strong enough, but will I need to change the pistons and rings. I was hoping they could do this without having to tear into the bottom end. Can this lower block handle 500 to 550 hp?

Thanks Once Again.
Old 04-28-2003, 06:51 AM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it were my money, I'd go ahead and get the Magnacharger. Its goig to be hard to get that much money together in one chunk again for the SC purchase. The Magna will give you much more power than any heads / cam package ever would. Heads / cam will give most of the power increase in the upper rpms while the blower will make power all over. The lower block can handle 500, apparently the pistons can take it too with enough fuel.
Old 04-28-2003, 06:54 AM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't there there are any good "packages" for heads / cam out for the trucks. I'd get a set of TEA 5.3 stage 1.5 heads and a comp 212 / 218 XE lobe cam with a 115 LSA.
Old 04-28-2003, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

A set of 5.3 RMS would do wonders with a custom grind comp cam. TEA's would also be a good choice. Make sure you do headers too when you do the package. The parts should easily come under $3500 for the heads/cam/pushrods/gaskets and headers.
Old 04-28-2003, 09:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I am with big tex on this one.go magnacharger,second choice would be a 6.0 cam,headers,custom tune.You didnt say if you are doing your own work.
Old 04-28-2003, 01:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Don't do heads/cam if you long term goals are a larger bore motor. You'd have to get your heads done twice. Bore size effects the intake and exhaust valve sizing and porting of the runners. If you are going to stick with the 5.3 ONLY (3.78" bore), then heads/cam will be fine. What I am plotting, the 5.3 heads ported and polished with smaller valves (2"x1.57") aren't the best for a 4.030" bore. Those heads would work kick *** with 2.05"x1.6" on a larger bore motor. Also the 5.3 heads flow better than the LS1 5.7 heads and the 6.0 aluminum heads/LS6 are the best for all out power.

I am very heavily weighing and balancing the heads/cam vs supercharger also. I'd just assume go with the Radix Magnacharger, seems like what many people are doing.

Contact Absolute Speed for their heads. They can match a cam to the heads very nicely. Their prices are great too.
Old 04-28-2003, 03:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I was hoping to stick with the original motor. I was not thinking of swapping to a 6.0 motor, since from what posts I have read, I know that I should be able to get to 500 to 550 hp at the crank with this motor. I was under the impression that I could get there between doing head, and cam swap, then the supercharger. I know that I can get right about 475hp with the Radix, headers, custom y-pipe, exhaust, and intake, but still wonder if I will fall a little short from what I am looking at. Then I think with those above listed mods, that I could get it custom tuned at Shelby's shop out here. They do dyno tunning for about $350 to $500 on any american vehicle. But still the questions linger, will I get the power I am hoping for, I am willing to spend about $8000 on the motor. I will install the charger myself, but I will have a shop pull the motor, and do the cam and heads install. I have been quoted $1150 for the work by two shops.

I am looking to get mid to high 12s with my setup. I allready have the tranny in mind I'll do that swap, and I have the rear end parts already for this power. I got the 33 spline moser axles, bearings, arp stud kit, Eaton Limited, and T/A performance girdle, and my brother made me triangular braces for the 8.5 rear end, that will prevent the tubing from bending with the power. I just have to have him weld them onto the rear end now. All together I have spent $900 for the parts, and have been told by a couple of performance rear end builders that this setup will be able to handle about 700lbs of torque no prob. This was still cheaper then getting a stouter all together new rear end. The axles and bearings were cheap, the Eaton Limited was expensive. Got all parts from Al's Driveline service here in Vegas.

By some of your posts, should I just do a cam install then, or for $3500 could I get a 6.0 motor? I guess that with that motor, that 550 hp is no problem with the Radix charger? Getting the money for this setup is no problem, I can put about $1000 away each month for what I want to get, I just didn't want to get too crazy on my spending. I got this truck for a great price, and do not want to spend more than $35,000 for everything including the truck. This alows me about $15,000 for total mods. I have put about $1600 in suspension, am going to spend about $2500 for rims and tires, and about $1000 for tint, bed cover, rino lining, billet grill, and $500 for a rear roll pan. That leaves me about $10,000 for my motor and transmission, or to get me to the power I am hoping for. I want a truck that will be able to compete against the new Lightning, or the R/T 500 that Dodge and Ford are coming out with. I just don't want to finance the $42,000 plus that those vehicles will cost, and then spending about $250 a month on insurance. I spend about $400 on this truck, and then $85 a month for insurance. It will cost me about $30 a month for a policy to cover my upgrades. So for about $515 a month or less, this is well worth it to me. I know that both of those trucks will run the quarter in about high 12 seconds from reviews, and I am not to worried about beating them, I just want about similar performance. Or overall, should I just leave this truck alone, then save up for about a year, then buy one of those trucks, and just finance about $30,000. This will still cost me about $850 plus a month with insurance. So in my mind, Spending about $15,000 over a year, will still save me about $300 plus a month. If I was willing to spend $850 a month, I would have just gotten a corvette, but I want a SPORTSTRUCK!

Sorry this post is so long, just serious about what I want to get, and this will help you understand what I am trying to do! Thanks!
Old 04-28-2003, 04:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hodgee,get a Yank 3000 ,a set of ASM headers,electric fans amd a 160 degree thermostat.Then save your money for the intercooled Magnacharger.Your truck will be fast with the headers and converter,both will compliment the Magnacharger.
Old 04-28-2003, 04:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, getting the Yank 3000 converter already, and already planning on headers, and what not, just looking for that little extra power.

Can I go with the TEA 5.3 heads, with the 1.8 ratio roller rockers. This I can do without having to pull the motor. Should be cheap, and give me that little extra to make the expected power I am hoping for.

Thanks

Quick Reply: What heads and Cam? Please Help!