Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

What heads and Cam? Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2003, 04:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What heads and Cam? Please Help!

Go with stage 2 TEA heads,tell them you are planning a supercharger so he does'nt mill the heads.1.7 rockers are stock on your engine.The heads will come with Compcams valve springs and titanium retainers,if you are changing heads you might as change cams at the same time,have TEA order you at 212/218 on a 116.
Old 04-28-2003, 05:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

500-550 crank is very possible. A Radix and full exhaust on a 5.3 would get you to 400rwhp...that is about 475 crank.

I'd just be worried about the stock rod bolts holding up at a high RPM or the pistons failing with that much power. Revs kill rods. If you don't shift at 6500rpm+ those should be fine. You can probably find a used 6.0 longblock for $1500 or less. That would easily put you at your power goal with stock 6.0 heads and a cam swap.

Your axle will hold as you have a lighter vehicle than I do, and I wanna be able to launch on slicks with what I have planned. I was quoted ~$2300 for a 10.5" 14 bolt 6 lug rear disc with Eaton, girdle, axles, and all.

If you run a custom y-pipe you will need 3" headpipes to something like a 4" pipe to the muffler to support that flow...

Your weak link will be that trans as you already know. I believe I gave you most of the info on how to address that.

I'd use some Yela Terra 1.8:1 shaft mounted rockers. Very strong and ~$500.

Old 04-28-2003, 05:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Last questions, will 475 at the crank, get me into the 12's like I want? Am I looking for too much? If not, I am now thinking of getting the reworked heads that are ported and polished, 1.8 ratio rockers, then the supercharger with all the other goodies, and running it no more than 6000 rpm shift points. From the sound of things, I think that this will get me right to about 500 plus horses at the crank, without having to go into the bottom end, or having to remove the motor out of the vehicle. The increased flow from the higher lift of the cam with the ratio change, and some increased flow from the heads, I hope, would give me at least a true 30 or more horses! This work with just the heads and rockers should only cost about $850 for labor, from what I was quoted by pulling the motor. I am pretty sure that I will have to custom tune it also. I guess after that is all done, I will just dyno it, and run it a bit to see if there is going to be any detonation or pinging problems. If not, then I will leave it alone. If then I can get a real 60,000 miles of regular use out of this motor, then I will be real happy. Since this is my second truck, I only put about 9,000 miles a year on it. I won't mind having to rebuild the motor bottom end, or top end valvetrain after 5 to 6 years of use. At that point with stouter parts, 100,000 miles seems to be no problem, as long as the charger holds out! Yes, once again, thanks! The information flowing in really helps, you guys are great!
Old 04-28-2003, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

i think you should go with the heads/cam setup along with all the bolt ons.. To many people have already done the supercharger thing, but i dont remember anyone yet to do a s2 heads/cam/tunning, and run that puppy na down to the 12's. A stage 2 head along with a TR 220 cam, and good tunning will get that thing moving. i say go for it. if the power isint enough, spend a few extra hundred for the 125 shot of juice. all this in a 2wd rcsb will be hard to beat.
Old 04-28-2003, 08:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Heads/cam/pullies add around 100+rwhp on the LS1 motors! So 30-40 hp from a cam is very easy.

12's seem attainable. Your truck is still way over 4000lbs and takes some grunt to move. I'd say with heads/cam/pullies and the rest of the bolt ons you should get that with some traction. Many guys on here run low 13's all motor with stock internals, so an extra 75-100rwhp would get you there.

Your truck will kick ***, it is just a matter of time to choose what you want to do. I am still torn on what to do first, I just need to stop being a wuss and do something. lol
Old 04-28-2003, 09:31 PM
TECH Junkie

I would'nt run 1.8rocker arms with the cam and I would'nt go over .550lift for durability.I suggested TEA stage 2 heads because they use a more durable exhaust valve.I'm running stock heads and cam and turning 13.2s with stock boost.Your truck would be well into the 12s with my setup the Tahoe weighs about 900lbs more than yours.
Old 04-29-2003, 02:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry, I was actually thinking of going without the cam, just using higher ratio rockers, then some heads with better flow. Then of course the rest of the bolt ons. Did you guys make those statements with the thought that I would do the cam also? I was wondering if I could do this without changing the cam. I know using the higher ratio rockers will increase the lift a little, and the duration also. I know just a little, so I was hoping with a better flowing head, and ratio rockers, that this would work for me. What do you think? If you are pretty sure that this would work, then I will buy the heads, with better valvetrain, and put the rockers on, then later throughout this year I will add the rest of the stuff. I am really just looking for a little bit more than the supercharger will give. So If I can get 50hp more with the heads and rockers cause of the increased flow working in leiu of the supercharger, that is what I will do! Then I hope this will give me at least the 500hp that I am looking for at the crank. Anything better would be good of course also.

Whitt1: What size motor are you running? I know you run a 13.2, but all motors, and vehicles don't run the same. The big advantage is the RC/SB lighter weight. I have weighed the truck with me in it, and it was 4212 lbs. That is just a hair lighter than 4000 lbs considering I weigh 265lbs. I guess its the plastic body of the stepside!?!
Old 04-30-2003, 02:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey, where did you guys go?
Old 04-30-2003, 07:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Hodgeee,I'm running a 5.3 and I'm expecting to break into the 12s on my next trip to the track.My Tahoe outran a BMW M5 from a 20mph punch last weekend,it was an ego deflating experience for the owner.
Old 04-30-2003, 07:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Whitt1:

Oh yeah, are you running slicks, or is this on your street tires?

Quick Reply: What heads and Cam? Please Help!