Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

what kind of gains can i expect to get?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 08:25 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what kind of gains can i expect to get?

hey guys im new around here and im kinda new to all of this, so forgive me if there is already a post like this, i drive an 02 silverado 1500 stock and im looking to do some work on it. i love it now but i want it to be a head turner so first im hoppin it up and then im gonna dress it up nice. but i just have a few performance questions first, what kind of gains am i looking at if i put a cold air intake, throttle body space, headers, hi flow cat, and dual exhaust on my truck? (or any combo of these that would work best) (i want it to rumble but not be too loud so suggestions are good) im gonna be buying many of the parts off of jegs.com so any info is appreciated, im also gonna put a 3:73 gear in for sure because i do pull a large boat with it and i need the extra oomph to get up the hills. oh and i am thinking about putting 285s on the stock rims for now, will this rub? and if not will it hurt performance at all? (will the 373 gear be enough to turn the bigger ties and pull the same as it would stock?) thanks alot,
oh and i will eventually jack my truck up either 4 or 6, will it look dumb with the 285s on at 6 inches?

Last edited by 02whitelightning; 06-08-2010 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would start with a cold air, longtube headers, and a custom tune from one of the sponsors. The spacer is worthless so don't waste money on that. If you need cats where you live (emissions testing) then get high flows, otherwise go with an offroad y-pipe and either 3" single or 2.5" duals with an x-pipe. This will give you a great start and some good gains, but if money is good later on, you could go with the reworked tb torque converter and a 212/218 cam.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:30 PM
Staging Lane

ok so no spacer, and what about shorty headers? dont they work in the low end range?
Old 06-08-2010, 04:55 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For your needs I recommend some Jba shorties. I noticed a pretty nice gain in torque right off idle before even tuning. Longtubes aren't going to help you down low, and might make it too loud for your taste depending on your muffler choice.

Is your truck a single cab or extended cab? Also what size are your rims?
Old 06-08-2010, 07:42 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Silverado53
For your needs I recommend some Jba shorties. I noticed a pretty nice gain in torque right off idle before even tuning. Longtubes aren't going to help you down low, and might make it too loud for your taste depending on your muffler choice.

Is your truck a single cab or extended cab? Also what size are your rims?
extended cab,
and they are just stock 16's im looking to jack it up 6 inches, and im having trouble finding nice rims that arent going to break the bank. what size should i go with ? im definatley gonna put 35 inch tires on it for muddin and takin it off road.and here is what im lookin at on jegs
https://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stor...rderItemUpdate
is there anything else im missing?
oh and ill be getting a skid plate as well, and a bull bar with pia lights when i find one i like.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You already have high flow cats on your truck, they have been that way pretty much since '88. Welding pipe in place of them might net you 1-3 RWHP at best.

You need 4.56 gears for 35" tires. Ask me how I know about that.

I think you should re-think your options here. If you put worthless gimmicks on your truck like throttle body spacers you are just wasting money. With all that you would be lucky to gain .2 in the 1/4. Spend your money wisely, put a yank TT 3000 series along with a custom tune and easily drop your times .6.

I have the desert rattler wheels. Lightweight aluminum and reasonably priced.

stock wheels on 35s:

Last edited by HoveyBayou; 06-08-2010 at 11:10 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

i agree with Hovey Bayou.. if your thinking of 35" tires u NEED 4.56 gears..and mostly if your going to pull a boat from time to time. now as far as power well u can start by intake lt headers with no cats and a custom tune.. now if you have the money i say a 212/218 cam would just suprise you with the power.. not it all depends on how much u want to spend.. remember new cam requires springs retainers lockers pushrods and new gaskets etc... it all depends on what you want to spend.. but gears is your first thing in my opinion..
Old 06-09-2010, 07:35 AM
Staging Lane

hey thanks for the advice guys! would i need the 456 gear if i only went with 33's? and a 4 inch lift? or would i get by with a 4.10?
alright so im gonna go with the intake and headers, exhaust,
and ur white truck looks sweet man, i like the stock rims with big tires, how much is it jacked up?
i was also planning on just doing the performance upgrades now and jacking it up a little later, so if i jack it up and put a 456 gear in it what kind of mileage loss are we talkin? if i get around 12 id be fine with that, as long as i still have enough low end power, and passing power for on the free way. i have a midsummer trip to texas to pick up my cousins and i would like to save a little on gas if possible. because we are either taking my truck or my dads 2500 and id prefer mine. thanks for the info guys
also , how would it do pulling a wood trailer? i haul lots of wood and right now it does fine but could be better
i wouldnt mind my truck lookin a bit like this, how would the 33's be in the snow? mud isnt such a big deal cuz when we go muddin we take the tractors out and pull ourselves out, but the snow can get pretty deep around her.e
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...pictureid=1895

Last edited by 02whitelightning; 06-09-2010 at 08:23 AM.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

6" Pro-Comp bracket lift with Rough Country 1-ton (GK) torsion bars.

If you are going to be pulling any type of trailer 4.56s will be optimal with 33s. You have to go deeper than 4.10s to compensate for the increased rolling resistance of the larger tires and wind resistance created from the lift. Also, deeper gears take strain off your transmission and 3-4 clutch packs. I have 4.56s in mine.

I actually gained fuel economy when switching from 3.73s to 4.56s. Just because the engine will be turning more RPMs doesn't always mean more fuel will be consumed. If you are undergeared and lugging the engine you have to make it work harder just to get it in its power band to get the truck moving. While no performance is added to the engine the benefits of gearing are substaintial. If you were to match the performance of the gears in my truck at the track with engine modifications you would need to add 60 HP. With the 4.56s I average 15 MPG mixed driving.

Keep it below 65 on the highway and you will easily be able to put down simular numbers.

I suggest you start out small and work your way up. You can get the knock off OBX SS LTs on ebay for 300 shipped. That's an easy 20hp and with a custom tune the truck will be much more enjoyable to drive.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:52 AM
Staging Lane

Keep it below 65 on the highway and you will easily be able to put down simular numbers.

I suggest you start out small and work your way up. You can get the knock off OBX SS LTs on ebay for 300 shipped. That's an easy 20hp and with a custom tune the truck will be much more enjoyable to drive.[/QUOTE]

thanks for the info =) i really appreciate it, hows your power in that truck? does it get up and go pretty good? hows the passing power on the freeway? how are pace setter shorties? and if i went with a 6inch lift, do i have to get different rims? also if i went with a 456 and 33's would i have more power? or would that just be a waste? how would 35s be for handling? how is the mileage at over 65?although right now at 75 im only getting roughly 15 so i cant complain, plus i have alkways wanted to jack up my truck. how is flowmaster exhaust? and with a 6inch lift do i have to change torsion bars, and do i need shocks? im new to jackin up trucks so i dont know. also what does a torque converter do? and how much will it run? and will a posi be beneficial?

Last edited by 02whitelightning; 06-09-2010 at 09:05 AM.

Quick Reply: what kind of gains can i expect to get?