Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

what kind of gains can i expect to get?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 09:17 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh and if i lift the truck up will i have to unbolt the axle and rotate it?
and id have to go with rims with an offset wouldnt i? otherwise tire wear might be an issue.

Last edited by 02whitelightning; 06-09-2010 at 09:24 AM.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lets take this one step at a time:

thanks for the info =) i really appreciate it, hows your power in that truck? does it get up and go pretty good?
5.3 with Yank 2600 TT Series converter and Blackbear in person tune with 100% TM and abuse mode deleted. It was kind of quirky to drive with the stall and being undergeared, but with the 4.56s and tru-trac it will blow the tires off in first.

hows the passing power on the freeway? how are pace setter shorties?
Once again, pretty good with the 4.56s. A hill as small as an overpass would make it kick out of OD with the 3.73s and the transmission was hating life. Much easier to hold onto the gears with 4.56s. Any shortie header is not worth the time to install for maybe 8 RWHP gain. If that is all you are looking for than no one is stopping you.

and if i went with a 6inch lift, do i have to get different rims? also if i went with a 456 and 33's would i have more power? or would that just be a waste? how would 35s be for handling? how is the mileage at over 65?
It depends on what lift you go with. Mine is a full drop so you can run stock wheels. Most knuckle lifts will require aftermarket wheels with 4.5"+ backspacking. Yes, you would have more power with 4.56s. No such thing as too much gear for performance. I drive the truck daily, handles like a stock truck would. I don't drive faster than 65. 75-80 you may lose .5-1 MPG.

although right now at 75 im only getting roughly 15 so i cant complain, plus i have alkways wanted to jack up my truck. how is flowmaster exhaust? and with a 6inch lift do i have to change torsion bars, and do i need shocks? im new to jackin up trucks so i dont know. also what does a torque converter do? and how much will it run? and will a posi be beneficial?
Flowmaster sucks. No you do not have to change your torsion bars I did it because I had a winch on the front and to keep them from sagging. The lift comes with shocks.

also what does a torque converter do? and how much will it run? and will a posi be beneficial?
Lets the engine "slip" into a higher RPM range when you put your foot down. A quality converter like a Yank or Circle D is not cheap, this is something you should never cheap out on because if it fails it can wipe out your transmission. Expect to spend roughly $400-$600. Yes, get a Detriot tru-trac. Enough said.

oh and if i lift the truck up will i have to unbolt the axle and rotate it?
and id have to go with rims with an offset wouldnt i? otherwise tire wear might be an issue.
What are you talking about? The lift blocks are tapered to give the correct pinion angle and rotate the axle if needed. Rims, well that would depend if you go with a full drop or knuckle kit. I never had tire wear issues with 35s on stock wheels.

If this seems overwhelming remember good **** ain't cheap and cheap **** ain't good. I didn't get to where I am now overnight either.

Last edited by HoveyBayou; 06-09-2010 at 11:10 AM.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:52 AM
Staging Lane

thats true, i am goin about this wrong. if im gonna do it, i should do it right. ok so how do i know if it is the straight drop lift kit?
thanks for all your help, i really appreciate it.
ill take it slow, one part at a time.
what exhasut would u recomend? i want something that sounds nice, but is mellow on cab drone for long distance driving.and not too loud at cruise.
hey with the torque converter, its not like a stall converter is it? and will it effect pull ?

Last edited by 02whitelightning; 06-09-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:05 PM
Staging Lane

hey do you guys know if it is possible to use a spacer, and then torsion keys to jack the front of my truck up? its way cheaper than buying a lift kit, whats the pros and cons? i would just use a block in the back and add a leaf then, so i could get bigger tires and sit a little higher until i get the money.
tahnks
Old 06-17-2010, 01:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I say lt headers, 4.56 gears, good tq cam, tune