Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

What to listen for...

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 10:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What to listen for...

I am installing a procharger, injectors, and a nelson tuned pcm. I completly trust that nelson did a great job on the tune based on the reviews I have heard, but I just wanted to know what I should listed for incase something happen while tuning. I have heard terms like detonation, knock, etc but don't exactly know what they sound like so an example of something that makes a similar sound would be helpful. Thanks
Old 12-24-2005, 11:17 AM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

Detonation sounds like marbles in a coffee can being shook around. If you hear this let off the gas right away.........Knock is what the computer reads from the knock sensor, do you have any type of tuning software or even the aeroforce guage that can monitor Knock retard? The guage is pretty neat by the way.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:09 PM
TECH Addict

I do not have tunning/logging software or the gauge for that matter. I have looked at it, but don't have the $$ to spend on it yet, plus I need a place to mount it.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im pretty shure allen tuned your pcm on the safe side of things...stick the pcm in there and go have fun...you can hear piston ring killing knock..if you hear suck a thing you will be at wot...get off the gas and go on where you are going just dont do many more wot runs without calling him or monitoring the kr.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What size pulley are you going to run first off. I would if at all possible run a bigger pulley till you get the bugs ironed out and to make sure you arent getting knock. The PCM will pull timing even if you cant hear the knock. Anybody around you have a laptop you can use with AutoTap or something? Maybe it would be best to get a wideband, not just for now but for long term use or that scan gauge. Not gonna bash Allen, but no mail order tune isn perfect.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99Silver5.3
What size pulley are you going to run first off. I would if at all possible run a bigger pulley till you get the bugs ironed out and to make sure you arent getting knock. The PCM will pull timing even if you cant hear the knock. Anybody around you have a laptop you can use with AutoTap or something? Maybe it would be best to get a wideband, not just for now but for long term use or that scan gauge. Not gonna bash Allen, but no mail order tune isn perfect.
I am fairly certain it is the stock pulley. I don't believe anyone around me has autotap or similar. I guess I am going to have to get the gauge or software one then. I had planned on it, just not this soon.

I am going to be looking into the new autometer widebands you posted about a little while ago. And I agree, is hard to be dead on with a mail order tune, but I am sure he is close. Thanks, and anything else I should be listening for, please post up.