Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

what longtubes for 5.3

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 05:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I've come to the conclusion that the Pacesetters are just too big for my setup. The pipe is too big and the exhaust velocity is down. Up top the 3" pipe makes more power, no doubt about it, but overall 2.5" is just more enjoyable. Gotta keep that exhaust velocity up. I managed to finally pick up what I wanted from the beginning - catted Dynas - so I'll be pulling the paces off and putting those on for good. A lot of trial and error with headers for me. For daily driving the 3" y on the pacesetters is just way too big for a 4.8 or 5.3, of course unless you are boosted or something of that nature.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you planning on selling the pacesetters and y? Where you located?
Old 12-17-2008, 10:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sickREDsierra
none of these headers will fit a 5.3

they will only work if you have either a 4.8 or a 6.0

the 5.3 uses a different canooter valve modulator on the EGR tube crossover, making the pacesetters and dynatechs ineffective at the rpm range we want to stay at, to make a constant power level, its a simple lambda coefficient.
can you explain this to a better understanding? i'm looking into long tubes as well now that i have my tune and i already have a custom 2.5 exhaust from the manifolds back so once i get the longtubes it should help flow alot better.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:18 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the 5.3 uses a different canooter valve modulator on the EGR tube crossover, making the pacesetters and dynatechs ineffective at the rpm range we want to stay at, to make a constant power level, its a simple lambda coefficient.
Originally Posted by 02gmcbandit
can you explain this to a better understanding? i'm looking into long tubes as well now that i have my tune and i already have a custom 2.5 exhaust from the manifolds back so once i get the longtubes it should help flow alot better.
He's joking They stopped using canooter valves in 97 and switched to a torteen solenoid

But on a serious note, let's not forget to add StainlessWorks to the list, I'm more than happy with mine
Old 12-18-2008, 07:10 AM
On The Tree

Basically, anything that is stainless is the way to go. You can throw them on there and drive through the ocean for about 4 years and not hurt them.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

it all depend on where u live, and how much money you want to spend........ your not goin to see a significant difference in performance from one header brand to another........ on the other hand, you will see a difference in quality. so just keep that in mind when choosing.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:19 AM
TECH Resident

try not to clutter threads that are actaully valid and serious with your jokes. thanks.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Pacesetters are good for the money, but be warned that the coating on them isn't the best. If you live in an area with snow/salt, I'd recommend a stainless set of headers.

Here are the collectors of my Pacesetters after 2 Massachusetts winters:

Old 12-18-2008, 07:30 AM
TECH Resident

are the OBX headers available from any sponsors?
Old 12-18-2008, 08:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KevinF56
Pacesetters are good for the money, but be warned that the coating on them isn't the best. If you live in an area with snow/salt, I'd recommend a stainless set of headers.

Here are the collectors of my Pacesetters after 2 Massachusetts winters:

thats why i said, depends where you live........ here in houston, pacesetters have been good....... several members here have had them for 2 or 3 years and still look brand new.

Quick Reply: what longtubes for 5.3