Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

What the....low oil level!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 04:01 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation What the....low oil level!!!

I jacked up my truck right now to check my header leak from the bottom and I saw the whole oil pan and half tranny showered with oil. Damn, that damn deepstick isn't all the way in. I checked the oil level and it's barely to the second dot . F@#k! I've been going to the track and racing with low oil.......(hope there's no horsepower loss with some little damage or something ). I'm going to buy the oil right now. Guys, any idea how many more quarts to fill.....just so I won't have to come and go again. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-23-2006, 04:27 PM
TECH Resident

Not sure about the exact amount, but I would pick up atleast 2 quarts because it wouldnt hurt to have too much on hand, but dont over fill it. Do you know why the oil stick was not all the way in? If your blowing it out, it could be a sign of crank case pressure build up which in most cases is not good. TTT
Old 04-23-2006, 04:58 PM
TECH Junkie

If its really low i'd grab at least two quarts like stated above.Did you not push it down all the way????Cause if you got pressure build up thats bad.
I doubt you hurt anything running a quart or two low as long as you didn't do it for a real long time.Look at it this way with that quart or so less oil you made a few extra hp from it heh.
Old 04-23-2006, 05:46 PM
Launching!

Thanks guys, but I think I overfilled it now, I bought a gallon and I poured it more than half and marks oil where some numbers are above the last dot. Should I drain some? The deepstick was not all the way in since I put some new header gaskets. I couldn't put it all the way in, it felt stuck so I just left it like that.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

did you restall already..
Old 04-23-2006, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

why dont you just drain it all and do an oil change. wont/cant hurt!
Old 04-23-2006, 10:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Exclamation

Originally Posted by La Chochita
Thanks guys, but I think I overfilled it now, I bought a gallon and I poured it more than half and marks oil where some numbers are above the last dot. Should I drain some? The deepstick was not all the way in since I put some new header gaskets. I couldn't put it all the way in, it felt stuck so I just left it like that.
Uuhhh yeah, overfilling it is bad. just as stated above. The deepstick? Yeah right. It's called a dipstick! It wouldn't go all the way in, so you just left it that way?????? Fix a single problem before you create more problems like you have done already.

Jim
Old 04-23-2006, 10:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CHEVY6000VHO
Uuhhh yeah, overfilling it is bad. just as stated above. The deepstick? Yeah right. It's called a dipstick! It wouldn't go all the way in, so you just left it that way?????? Fix a single problem before you create more problems like you have done already.

Jim
Old 04-23-2006, 10:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Keep your comments if not intended to help.
Problem fixed.
Eric
Old 04-23-2006, 10:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CHEVY6000VHO

Jim
That's the same guy that fixed my truck so I wouldn't say anything we all make mistakes.

Quick Reply: What the....low oil level!!!