Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

What is needed to make an air to water intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 03:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is needed to make an air to water intercooler

What parts are needed for this. I'll obviously need a good air to water core, some lines, and water pump (where would I look for this), some kind of resovoir?? I just cant seem to come up with a way to get the piping to fit to run an FMIC and Im getting a little weary of relying on the alky as Ive heard of pumps only coming on intermittently or not at all. What would you guys expect something like this to run and what type of skill would it take to put it together??
Ive been on the lookout for the Vortech aftercooler, but havent seen one that would fit my truck (no truck aftercoolers either ) Thanks
Old 12-06-2004, 03:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by greentahoe
What parts are needed for this. I'll obviously need a good air to water core, some lines, and water pump (where would I look for this), some kind of resovoir?? I just cant seem to come up with a way to get the piping to fit to run an FMIC and Im getting a little weary of relying on the alky as Ive heard of pumps only coming on intermittently or not at all. What would you guys expect something like this to run and what type of skill would it take to put it together??
Ive been on the lookout for the Vortech aftercooler, but havent seen one that would fit my truck (no truck aftercoolers either ) Thanks
I have seen them made from heater cores. as far as the pump I would assume you could get that from a hardware store as long as it runs on 12v. then just some heater hose in between and you are good. you could use a windshield washer bottle or coolant resovoir for your water resovoir. I have seen a couple home made water/air intercoolers using above method and they seemed to work okay.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by smooth sierra
I have seen them made from heater cores. as far as the pump I would assume you could get that from a hardware store as long as it runs on 12v. then just some heater hose in between and you are good. you could use a windshield washer bottle or coolant resovoir for your water resovoir. I have seen a couple home made water/air intercoolers using above method and they seemed to work okay.
I guess I would need a heat exchanger as well. I want it to look good, not a home depot job. I think Summitt sells the little fuel cells that could be used for the reservoir, but which one?? How would I wire the pump??? Just a 12v Key on source maybe??
Old 12-06-2004, 04:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

I guess I would need a heat exchanger as well. I want it to look good, not a home depot job. I think Summitt sells the little fuel cells that could be used for the reservoir, but which one?? How would I wire the pump??? Just a 12v Key on source maybe??
I would check granger as they have an abundent supply of 12v elecric pumps. I would think it would need to be run on a ignition circuit and I would imagine it wouldn't need to move a large amount of water so not much power would be needed.

it will only look as 'rigged' as you make it. I personally would consider a submersible pump in a resovoir or your choice. the submersible pumps tend to live a little longer IMO.

maybe an old evaporator core from a truck could make a decent heat exchanger?
Old 12-06-2004, 05:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a friend who is building their own, and just got an awesome wp for like $130. I will ask them exactly where they got it.

I also found a part # on a perfect heater core for this. It is 9" tall and 8" wide, about 1.5" thick. The hose inlet/outlet are both 3/4" and it already has 2 mounting tabs on the bottom. Cost is $34.99 at oreilly's and here is some part #'s for different brands : NAPA - 3336, Ready-aire(Oreilly's) - 398214, 4seasons - 94480, Murray - 279163, Stant - 90214. Those are the same heater core with a bunch of different brands.
It wouldn't be as good as like the upgraded radix one, but for $35 it is a pretty good deal, and might be worth a try.

Hope that this helps

Aaron
Old 12-06-2004, 05:16 PM
TECH Addict

What is "granger"?? So, what size/ flow rated pump should I use? Ive heard that a larger tranny cooler could be used for the heat exchanger or do I need something else. Doesnt the resovoir need to be something with the copper tubing in the middle? I dont even know how to run the lines yet . Anyone have any schematics? I think once I get everything pieced together, the little bit of pipe and mounting things wont be too difficult. I appreciate the help.
Old 12-06-2004, 07:38 PM
TECH Addict

That should be Grainger. It is an industrial supply company, like www.mcmaster-carr.com.

What about using the aftercooler that comes with the Escalade/Silverado SS kits?
Old 12-06-2004, 08:13 PM
On The Tree

Anyone ever think of an Air to Liquid Nitrogen intercooler?
Would it be too cold?
If it would work you would not have any spark knock.
Just a thought
Old 12-07-2004, 10:39 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Fandango
That should be Grainger. It is an industrial supply company, like www.mcmaster-carr.com.

What about using the aftercooler that comes with the Escalade/Silverado SS kits?
Ive been looking for one used, but they want almost 2grand for one from Vortech. No thanks. I got my head slapped hard enough with this blower that is maxed from the get go Im doing more research this time.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:21 AM
TECH Junkie

I use a air to water intercooler from presicion turbo. It will support 900hp worth of airflow. I use a radix bottle and pump. My heat exchanger is a Garrett but it was hard to get. An AC condenser from a small late model car would work well.

Kurt
Ive been looking for one used, but they want almost 2grand for one from Vortech. No thanks. I got my head slapped hard enough with this blower that is maxed from the get go Im doing more research this time.

Quick Reply: What is needed to make an air to water intercooler